Missing Feature/Privacy Issue - Google Apps Calendar Resources

Jason Hittleman

Sep 20, 2012, 2:53:23 PM9/20/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Our org is new to resource calendars and we've run into a snag with permissions.  In order for users to book a resource they have to be set to "See all event details" on the resource calendar. This poses a problem for obvious reasons as we do not want users to see the details of all meetings for a particular resource. To get around this Google has advised that users scheduling meetings should mark their event as Private, but shouldn't there be a better way? Has anyone run into this and is there an enhancement scheduled to address this deficiency?

Terri Eden

Sep 21, 2012, 10:06:03 AM9/21/12
to Jason Hittleman, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Nexteer Automotive also has this same issue.  I would love to see an enhancement as well but nothing I am aware of yet.

Terri Eden

IT Operations

Did you know we have an IT Support Google Site?  Check out What's New at https://sites.google.com/a/nexteer.com/it-euc-support-site/

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Jason Hittleman <hittl...@marsusa.com> wrote:
Our org is new to resource calendars and we've run into a snag with permissions.  In order for users to book a resource they have to be set to "See all event details" on the resource calendar. This poses a problem for obvious reasons as we do not want users to see the details of all meetings for a particular resource. To get around this Google has advised that users scheduling meetings should mark their event as Private, but shouldn't there be a better way? Has anyone run into this and is there an enhancement scheduled to address this deficiency?

This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This message and the information contained in this communication is confidential and/or privileged. Emails sent from or to our company are subject to monitoring or review.  You are hereby notified that any review, transmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete it from your computer. Thank you.

Andy Serwatuk [DHC]

Sep 21, 2012, 10:14:57 AM9/21/12
to Terri Eden, Jason Hittleman, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
At Delta Hotels we've been suffering through with that issues for years.
While I've told everyone, and made a document telling them how to book meetings and keep them private, most people don't.
I think it's a ticking time bomb until someone finds a meeting room booked at 4:30 on a Friday with a title like "Fire Jane Smith".

+1 that this is definitely an issue. One which I've brought to the attention of Google in the past, but with little success.

Jason Hittleman

Sep 21, 2012, 11:06:39 AM9/21/12
to Andy Serwatuk [DHC], Terri Eden, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
We are back and forth on the issue of disclosure org wide as we don't want to draw unnecessary attention to this deficiency. We spoke to Google support and they indicated they would submit this for a feature request. How do we obtain visibility of that and help drive it to the top of the list? This is a basic Enterprise feature that just needs to be there and work.
--

Jason Hittleman | VP, Information Systems
(o) 248.936.2457 (c) 248.835.0082

MARS | Where the Shopper is Hero
25200 Telegraph Rd | Southfield, MI 48033

This e-mail may contain information proprietary to the sender and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. All e-mail sent to this address is subject to archival and may be reviewed by someone other than the recipient. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message and all copies.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Andrew Murrey

Sep 21, 2012, 1:05:56 PM9/21/12
to Jason Hittleman, Andy Serwatuk [DHC], Terri Eden, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
We are also in the same boat.  We put in a feature request a little over a year ago.  Still nothing.

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Andrew Murrey
MCSE - CCSE+ - VCP - NSA
VP, IT Infrastructure - North America

Cinram International
39 South Park Blvd
Building 1 - Suite 39
Greenwood, In 46143
USA

Jordan Pedraza

Sep 28, 2012, 6:54:49 PM9/28/12
to Andrew Murrey, Jason Hittleman, Andy Serwatuk [DHC], Terri Eden, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi All,

I would recommend submitting a feature suggestion to the moderator, per the guidelines in the learning module. We're moving our feature feedback loop to Moderator, so others can vote on suggestions based on priority. We share top priority suggestions every quarter with the product teams.

Thanks,
Jordan

Follow us on
Twitter, our Edu Google+ Page, and
our
Enterprise Google+ Page for news & ideas
Check out Google Apps Users Groups
Jordan Pedraza | Global Community, Google Enterprise Education |  +jordanpedraza |  @jordanpedraza

Jason Hittleman

Oct 2, 2012, 5:04:33 PM10/2/12
to jordan...@google.com, Andrew Murrey, Andy Serwatuk [DHC], Terri Eden, northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Janet Mertz
OK thanks, posted the suggestion to: http://goo.gl/mod/7agw
Would appreciate everyone to comment and vote on this.