public calendars

Felicia Berryman

Aug 9, 2011, 4:48:34 PM8/9/11
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Hello All,

I've gotten another request from one of our users for the ability to browse and/or search for institutional calendars. For example, recently someone was hoping that the public calendar he made for the college could be searched for just like how users can easily browse/search for the MSU Spartan Football and Basketball calendars. It would be nice when you click Add in the "other calendars" section that an option appeared to Add Organization Calendars or Add Calendars from [Organization Name]. I also envision this as similar to how when you go to look for templates in docs, you browse your organization's templates. Any calendar saved as public would should up in the organization list, or there would be an option when making a calendar public to also make it searchable like the two choices for public links in docs.

If you like this idea, please "vote" for it here for me.

Thanks!

Felicia

Wendy Woodward

Aug 9, 2011, 5:20:36 PM8/9/11
to Felicia Berryman, northc...@appsusersgroup.com

Great idea!

Wendy Woodward

Director, Technology Support Services

Northwestern University

(847) 467-7851

NOTE:  For security purposes, Northwestern University will NEVER ask you for your NetID password.  Keep it a secret!

Rex Roof

Aug 9, 2011, 9:53:50 PM8/9/11
to Felicia Berryman, northc...@appsusersgroup.com

I love it,  it would be a great idea.
Can you add the calendar to the public searchable calendars?

Ziebell, Kent A [ITSYS]

Aug 10, 2011, 9:28:43 AM8/10/11
to Felicia Berryman, northc...@appsusersgroup.com

Great idea… our users would love it.

Thanks,

Kent Ziebell

Kent A. Ziebell                                      zie...@iastate.edu

249 Durham Center                               ISU Messaging Team Leader

Iowa State University                            phone: (515) 294-9607

Ames, IA 50011                                    fax:      (515) 294-1717

Aug 11, 2011, 5:27:22 PM8/11/11
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Ziebell, Kent A [ITSYS]

There was a recent thread on the Hied Email Administrators mail list entitled “Alumni accounts on Google.”   It seems that several universities have gone down the same path that we have, and that is that when our students graduate, they can no longer keep their student Google account.   Rather we give them some instructions on how they can migrate their email into a separate alumni Google domain that our Alumni Association maintains.   In other words, our students must migrate from user...@iastate.edu to a new otheru...@alumni.iastate.edu .

It would really be nice if Google offered a rename/migration tool for users who own two separate Google accounts and who wish to move all information including sites, docs, calendaring, contacts, email or any of the other 70+ Google Apps from one account to the other.   If the user has the passwords to both accounts, it would be useful to “rename” or “migrate” from one account to another.

I know recently Google announced a rename that administrators can use to rename within a domain.   And you can use alias domains for a space so that an administrator can rename from one account to another with the aliased domain.   But our alumni association is in an entirely separate space with their own administrators.

So we would like to allow the users themselves to use a new tool to migrate from one account to another.

Anyone else solved this problem, or interested in Google provide a tool that I have described?   We are about to turn on additional Google Apps here at Iowa State, but are reluctant to turn on any apps that the students might invest money in and lose after graduation.

Jordan Pedraza

Aug 12, 2011, 12:30:45 PM8/12/11
to Ziebell, Kent A [ITSYS], northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Ziebell, Kent A [ITSYS]
Hi Kent,

You bring up a very good point. The easiest way to transfer all Google Apps data between two accounts is to provision users on a primary domain and then migrate them to a sub-domain. So you can use iastate.edu as a primary and add alumni.iastate.edu as a sub-domain, then use the Provisioning API to move users to the sub-domain and that will move all their mail, calendar, docs, sites, etc data with them.

If you have two entirely separate domains, please refer to this article on migrating data between two separate Google Apps accounts. There are some migration processes that can be automated, while others are more manual. There's also an article on data transfer and sharing between multiple accounts that may be helpful. And there's a new feature in the Control Panel that enables admins to transfer Docs ownership

At Google we're also looking at how we can make data migration easier and more intuitive for end users and I'm involved with this effort. I do not have any specific features or timelines to announce right now, but I'll definitely keep the group posted on any meaningful updates or any opportunities to share feedback (which you're always welcome to do!).

I'm sure other schools and businesses in the group will have practices and resources to recommend that have worked well.

Thanks!
Jordan

Jordan Pedraza | Google Apps for Education | jordan...@google.com | (650) 253-6250

Felicia Berryman

Aug 15, 2011, 3:27:26 PM8/15/11
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com
I got another support ticket about Google Calendar sharing. An instructor wanted to share a calendar with his class. He was hoping that he could share the calendar with a group contact instead of individual contacts. I let him know that this wasn't possible.

He decided to make his calendar public to all users in our domain, but didn't like how the HTML URL that Google provides sends people to log-in through Google instead of the MSU Authentication (fortunately, this is supported in post-transition Google Apps, https://www.google.com/accounts/SignInMessage). I was able to edit the URL to get a calendar to bounce directly to MSU auth. The URL Google gives is:
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=msu.edu_1ijt00ke8p73kftubes0rsum6o%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
However, if I change it to:
http://calendar.google.com/a/msu.edu/embed?src=msu.edu_1ijt00ke8p73kftubes0rsum6o%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
You are bounced directly to MSU authentication. Right now, I'm thinking that the second format should be the default. I figured I'd share this here.

Felicia