MISSING FEATURE - Google Apps users with Android phones cannot accept/decline meetings from Outlook users on their phone

Paul Inboriboon

Sep 2, 2012, 8:48:55 AM9/2/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com
I am getting no where with Google Enterprise Support.  I think their hands are tied and cannot prioritize/escalate this any further.  Case: [#02177558] Cannot accept/decline meeting invite coming from Outlook/Exchange.

Bottom line - Google Apps user with Android phones (native Gmail client or Activesync) cannot accept/decline meetings sent from Outlook users.  We tried all the major phone models - Samsung, HTC, Motorola w/ their different "skins" and latest OS.  Google Apps with Apple iPhones and blackberries can accept/decline meetings sent from Outlook users seamlessly.  It is critical so the meeting organizer knows if you plan to attend or decline their meeting.  And Outlook users is not a small user base.  There is no mobile workaround on Android mobile phones or 3rd party apps to fix this.  There are apps that open the ics file, but do not truly accept/decline the meetings correctly.

This is a major con to using Google Apps over Exchange for an enterprise solution.

Should we considered going back to Exchange so Android phones, iPhones, and Blackberries work or keep Google Apps and avoid Android phones, instead promote iPhones and Blackberries which is surprising?

Is there anyone else we can talk with to express how important this basic feature is for enterprise adoption of Google Apps and Android?  We want to promote Google Apps and Android phones but cannot without this basic function.  Google/Android really need to add this basic meeting feature to the Gmail App ASAP.

Jordan Pedraza

Sep 4, 2012, 12:53:57 PM9/4/12
to Paul Inboriboon, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi Paul,

It looks like our Support team offered a workaround while we're investing your case.

If you'd like, feel free to submit a feature suggestion to the group as outlined in the Feature Suggestions module. Every quarter we share feature suggestions with our product teams for prioritization.

Thanks,
Jordan

Follow us on
Twitter, our Edu Google+ Page, and
our
Enterprise Google+ Page for news & ideas
Check out Google Apps Users Groups
Jordan Pedraza | Global Community, Google Enterprise Education |  +jordanpedraza |  @jordanpedraza

Andrew Murrey

Sep 4, 2012, 1:15:42 PM9/4/12
to jordan...@google.com, Paul Inboriboon, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
We had a very similar issue.  We decided to stick with iOS devices.

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Andrew Murrey
MCSE - CCSE+ - VCP - NSA
VP, IT Infrastructure - North America

Cinram International
39 South Park Blvd
Building 1 - Suite 39
Greenwood, In 46143
USA

Paul Inboriboon

Sep 4, 2012, 1:29:39 PM9/4/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Paul Inboriboon, jordan...@google.com
Hi Jordan,

The only workarounds I recall were:
1. Accept/decline meetings using a computer browser instead of the Android phone.  Not good for a workforce that needs to be mobile.  Email "just works" expectations are moving towards mobile phones and tablets.

2. Use iPhones and Blackberries for your mobile recommendation, not Android phones.

If there is now a better workaround, we would like to communicate that to our staff.

I tried the "Feature Request" link provided and it said I did not have permissions to access the document.

I really really want to promote Android phones, retire our large blackberry population, but not move them to iPhones.  I cannot do that when basic calendar functions do not work on an Android phone for Google Apps users.  If I was on Microsoft Exchange, my Android phone could do it.  It is baffling that Google Android + Google Apps does not work for calendaring.  And that is still the case on Android version 4.1.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Inboriboon

Sep 5, 2012, 11:27:58 PM9/5/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Paul Inboriboon, jordan...@google.com
Hi Jordan - Thanks for the link to the feature request.

Colleagues - here is a link to vote on it this week > http://goo.gl/mod/Sjc5.  Help vote to make this a priority in Google.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Inboriboon

Sep 12, 2012, 9:49:23 AM9/12/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com, Paul Inboriboon, jordan...@google.com
Some of you may already be members of the North America Apps Users groups.  If so, I apologize for a similar message this morning.  We just want to make sure Google hears that this is critical to its existing Google Apps user base and potential clients.

On the heels of Apple's iPhone announcement today, this is a good reminder to vote for this missing feature on all Android phones to make them more competitive with iPhones in the enterprise.

Here is a link to vote for this feature > http://goo.gl/mod/Sjc5  Please let Google know it is important to your end users and lets see if this feature request process really works.

GREGORY LAWRENCE

Sep 12, 2012, 12:05:08 PM9/12/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com

In our Google Apps, we have turned off any outside sharing of our domain.  Is it possible to enable sharing with a particular domain?  For example, no outside sharing except for domains at @more.net and @mizzou.edu.

I know this is possible through the email to send email to specific domains, but can you do this with Sharing of Documents?

Thanks,

-Greg

Jordan Pedraza

Sep 12, 2012, 12:09:21 PM9/12/12
to GREGORY LAWRENCE, northc...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi Greg,

This feature is not currently available. It is on the feature suggestions moderator. Please see the module to learn how to vote or submit new suggestions.

Thanks,
Jordan

Follow us on
Twitter, our Edu Google+ Page, and
our
Enterprise Google+ Page for news & ideas
Check out Google Apps Users Groups
Jordan Pedraza | Global Community, Google Enterprise Education |  +jordanpedraza |  @jordanpedraza

GREGORY LAWRENCE

Sep 28, 2012, 12:49:12 PM9/28/12
to northc...@appsusersgroup.com

Our Moodle System is setup to sync with our Google Apps domain (SSO)...I keep receiving the same error on a handful of our students...

"Google Apps - Invalid Email

Invalid Email

We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later."

We are not over our allotted user request in Google Apps (14000 users and we are not to that point yet).

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Greg