Slower login response times with MySQL

Jonathan Tran

Aug 5, 2021, 11:23:24 AM8/5/21
to uPortal Community
Hello everyone,

We are in the process of redeploying/migrating our uPortal instance in AWS using MySQL, but on login we are seeing slower login times. From the browser dev. tools, I see the following timings:

321ms /Login?ticket=
2658ms /Login
712ms /f/home/normal/render.uP

On-premise, we're using Oracle and here are the timings on the same requests:

41ms /Login?ticket=
225ms /Login
248ms /f/home/normal/render.uP

As another datapoint, I am seeing the following response times when running uPortal + MySQL locally (spoiler: they're not great in my opinion)

315ms /Login?ticket=
2908ms /Login
3875ms /f/home/normal/render.uP

Any pointers on what to look for?

Thanks!

Jim Helwig

Aug 5, 2021, 11:26:52 AM8/5/21
to Jonathan Tran, uPortal Community

Is there a connection other than MySQL that is being made during login that is on-prem, so it takes longer from your laptop or AWS?

JimH

--

Jim Helwig

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Central IT

Application Development Manager

pronouns:he/him/his

Benito Gonzalez

Aug 5, 2021, 11:34:08 AM8/5/21
to Jim Helwig, Jonathan Tran, uPortal Community
Hi Jonathan,

Are you using CAS, Shib or another login service?

-bjagg

Jonathan Tran

Aug 5, 2021, 11:42:36 AM8/5/21
to uPortal Community, uPortal Community
> Is there a connection other than MySQL that is being made during login that is on-prem, so it takes longer from your laptop or AWS?

Come to think of it, there is LDAP (although I am under the impression that we have it in AWS as well)

> Are you using CAS, Shib or another login service?

We're using CAS

Benito Gonzalez

Aug 5, 2021, 11:49:03 AM8/5/21
to Jonathan Tran, uPortal Community
Locally, performance can be impacted if memory settings are too low or unset. I'd just double-check that.

Otherwise, my suspicion is networking to CAS and LDAP. This delay can include SSL negotiating. Can you access the CAS logs to get a feel for timing on the CAS side?

Jonathan Tran

Aug 5, 2021, 12:24:59 PM8/5/21
to uPortal Community
I have -Xmx configured to 2G for the moment, increasing that does not appear to have an effect on things

> Can you access the CAS logs to get a feel for timing on the CAS side?

Our IdP team did not note any timing issues on that side of the house.
I increased the logging level on org.jasig.cas.client and this is what I am seeing in portal.log:

DEBUG [http-nio-8080-exec-1-guest] o.j.c.c.v.Cas20ProxyReceivingTicketValidationFilter 2021-08-05 15:54:10,609 - Attempting to validate ticket: {ticket}
DEBUG [http-nio-8080-exec-1-guest] o.j.c.c.v.Cas20ProxyReceivingTicketValidationFilter 2021-08-05 15:54:10,738 - Successfully authenticated user: jmt
DEBUG [http-nio-8080-exec-1-guest] o.j.c.c.v.Cas20ProxyReceivingTicketValidationFilter 2021-08-05 15:54:10,738 - Redirecting after successful ticket validation.

Benito Gonzalez

Aug 5, 2021, 12:46:48 PM8/5/21
to Jonathan Tran, uPortal Community
That seems to indicate that uPortal is validating a ticket by request to CAS. That network request took over 100ms.

Jonathan Tran

Aug 5, 2021, 1:59:06 PM8/5/21
to uPortal Community
Yeah, that is not my top worry. My main concern is that from successful auth. to the portal, it seems as though /Login is spending a significant time on something before responding and rendering the portal to the user. I will continue to poke around and see if I come across anything ...

I appreciate the ideas/insights thusfar :) if there are more, I would be open to them