Java 11 / Tomcat 10 Focus for uPortal 5

Benito Gonzalez

Jul 19, 2024, 7:33:44 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to Developers, uPortal, uPortal Community
Hi folks,

We are wrapping up some PRs for the next release of uPortal 5. We plan to release this as v5.17.0 in August.

What do you think about requiring future v5 releases to use Java 11 and Tomcat 10? Is anyone upgrading between v5 releases that is not currently or willing to use Java 11 and Tomcat 10?

We would certainly branch off from the next release if someone really wanted patches for v5.17.x for bug fixes and still HAVE to use Java 8.

Reasoning: we want to follow semantic versioning, which would require us to push off changes that are not backwards compatible until the next major release.

That all stated, we do hope to have a uPortal v6 release in Q4 of this year. More details to follow.

Have a great weekend!
-bjagg

--
Benito J. Gonzalez