uPortal and portlet releases coming soon

Benito Gonzalez

Sep 7, 2023, 5:12:42 PM9/7/23
to uPortal Community
Hi folks,

We are planning to release new versions of community portlets that upgrade Spring Framework to a modern version. This should happen over the next few months.

We also expect to have a couple more minor releases of uPortal this year. These will be limited to fixes and upgrading Spring Framework. Once that is done, we will start on a uPortal 6 release that will drop Java 8 support. There will not be a lot of differences between uPortal 5 and 6 to most users and implementers. We are expecting a revamp of Gradle and package changes internally, along with changes to Tomcat version and minimum Java version supported. The database, data files, skins, and configuration should remain the same between these major versions.

If you have questions or comments, please reply to this email.

Best
-bjagg

--
Benito J. Gonzalez
Software Architect

Jérôme NENERT

Sep 8, 2023, 5:16:58 AM9/8/23
to uPortal Community

Hi,

Le 07/09/2023 à 23:12, Benito Gonzalez a écrit :
Hi folks,

We are planning to release new versions of community portlets that upgrade Spring Framework to a modern version. This should happen over the next few months.

We also expect to have a couple more minor releases of uPortal this year. These will be limited to fixes and upgrading Spring Framework. Once that is done, we will start on a uPortal 6 release that will drop Java 8 support. There will not be a lot of differences between uPortal 5 and 6 to most users and implementers. We are expecting a revamp of Gradle and package changes internally, along with changes to Tomcat version and minimum Java version supported. The database, data files, skins, and configuration should remain the same between these major versions.
By uPortal 7, portlets are expected not to be supported. uPortal-start ( and uPortal ) still relies a lot on portlets (  quickstart data for example ).  There are few "recommended" replacements for heavily used portlets and support for some like email-preview ( with used to be in quickstart data ) has been dropped.

Any plans to slowly start moving away from portlets from uPortal 6 ?

If you have questions or comments, please reply to this email.

Best
-bjagg

--
Benito J. Gonzalez
Software Architect
Unicon, Inc.
GitHub:  bjagg
GitLab:  bjagg
BitBucket:  bgon...@unicon.net

Benito Gonzalez

Sep 8, 2023, 11:31:16 AM9/8/23
to Jérôme NENERT, uPortal Community
Hi Jérôme,

While we do not have replacements for all portlets, we are starting to see institutions run uPortal with mostly web components -- zero portlets other than the admin ones.

After uPortal 6 is released, we will focus on replacing all portlets with web component/API alternatives (Q2 of 2024) and likely dropping all portlet support by mid-2024 (uPortal 7 potential release). These are ambitious, so we will be relying on community participation to reach these goals.

You referenced portlet definitions/datafiles. We will try to support existing data formats, but will support newer ones as well that are not portlet-centric.

Hope this helps!
-bjagg