Tab groups feature questions

Julien Gribonvald

Jan 15, 2021, 2:25:18 PM1/15/21
to uport...@apereo.org, Chris Beach
Hi folks,

I'm seeing that Chris Beach is doing a work around Tab Group feature so
I take the opportunity to ask some questions about it !

Firstly I don't know a lot about this feature, but this could interest
me and maybe other peoples if we would be able to manage things like a
multi-tenant switch, switching from one school to an other with a tab
group. The thing needed would be that tab group permit to provide a
context ID ( for the use case the school ID) to portlets (for context),
or in iframe url, openId informations, etc... Or maybe we should
pass/retrieve it on an other way ?

Do you understand what I mean and my interest ? After maybe the tab
group isn't the right thing to use for that.

To explain a bit how it works on my instance:

we should improve our workflow, as to switch from one school to an
other, the user should do the switch to a portlet where he will select
the school "where to go" and confirm it, the problem is that after this
switch the user is deconnected and he should reconnect from CAS (needed
to reinit all apps current ID school and inside CAS too). The portlet
also change a LDAP attribute value, indicating the current ID school.

Inside uPortal contextual "portlets" (schools services) are
authorized/filtered from a specific pags (InjectAttributeRegexTester)
that use this ldap attribute combined with ldap groups REGEX (from
smartldap groups).

After maybe this would be a bit complicated to manage a multi-context
for a same user, my first and easy approach would be to make a partial
logout inside CAS, I mean by only doing a logout on all services expect
on CAS and be back on uPortal with the LDAP current school attribute
changed.

Feel free if you have better ideas.

Thanks

--

Julien Gribonvald

Benito Gonzalez

Jan 18, 2021, 12:46:37 PM1/18/21
to Julien Gribonvald, uport...@apereo.org, Chris Beach
Hi Julien,

I think the tab group is too limited a feature for your goal. Tab group allows you to add a tab group name to tabs in the layout files which will then be collected by a new nav bar above the usual tab bar.

For example, let's say your student layout has the following tabs with tab group names:
- LMS: Academics
- SIS Services: Academics
- News & Announcements: Campus
- Sports: Campus
- Campus Services: Campus

Students would see a Tab Group row with Academics and Campus. When Academics is selected, then LMS and SIS Services tabs are available in the tab bar. When Campus is selected, the other tabs are available.

It is essentially a feature to organize tabs so they do not overwhelm users.

There is a Multi-Tenant feature in uPortal that allows the portal to act like different portals depending on login. This has been used at university systems where a single uPortal instance acts like a separate portal for each campus.

Does that make sense?

-bjagg

Julien Gribonvald

Jan 18, 2021, 1:42:42 PM1/18/21
to Benito Gonzalez, uport...@apereo.org, Chris Beach

Thanks Benito,

It's what I thougth, and I'm already acting as a multi-tenant but without the tenant feature as I don't need the admin part. I'm managing it from a LDAP attribut that select the "tenant", and after all things are managed from groups the the famous InjectAttributeRegexTester pags.

My problem is when user should switch from one tenant to an other, a logout is required. I'm watching for the best way to do that without disconnecting the user from CAS, and maybe also on some apps like the portal.

The multi-tenant in uPortal won't help me so, as I think it needs also a logout.

But any way thanks.

Julien

--
Julien Gribonvald