Open source by-for-and-about education in trying times

Andrew Petro

Mar 17, 2020, 10:21:15 AM3/17/20
to Open
How are by-for-and-about education open source products being leveraged to meet education's emerging needs?

What open source software could we be collaborating upon that would help?

HAXTheWeb? [0]

LTI for the win? [1]

Or maybe open source software not strictly by-for-and-about higher ed: Discourse still seems to have tremendous potential. Goodness knows we need more thoughtful conversations, and maybe, just maybe, some of the automation and UX in Discourse can help with that a bit. [2]

-Andrew

Bryan Ollendyke

Mar 17, 2020, 3:57:55 PM3/17/20
to Open
I agree. HAX camps's largely will market toward non-education developers / users as that's a much bigger pool and ability to provide influence. EDU is *OUR* context; the rest of the web doesn't care :). The more generic the embrace of standards and enhancing them the better we'll be. Example from our land: National Archives has adopted our build routine and workflows. In exchange, they performed a formalized audit on HAX. If our bundling was specific to LMSs or HAX even, this would never have happened.