[OAE] Invite people to join a resource through a link

claire lozano

Feb 9, 2018, 10:13:49 AM2/9/18
to Open Academic Environment (OAE)

Hi everyone,

I learned from Mathilde that I should prioritize the development of the functionality : invite people to join a resource through a link.

I was thinking of doing something like the google drive invitation and put into the manage access modal a selection list with different rights and a generated link.

This will be the main scenario :

    1) A manager goes into a resource

    2) Click on the button "manage access"

    3) The modal ("with visibility" and "shared with") appears

    4) The manager changes the sharing select list to "users with this link can view (or edit or manage)"

    5) A link is now generated

    6) The manager can copy the link to send to users

    7) These users can join the resource as viewer (or editor or manager)

Maybe we should add a password (?). Personally I think that with the link and a disable option it’s enough secure.

Feel free to comments or ask questions.

Best,

Claire L.

William Cullerne Bown

Feb 9, 2018, 10:24:58 AM2/9/18
to claire lozano, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
Hi Claire

It was great to meet you in Paris.

I think this has come from me and I have not explained it very well. It is one of the highest requested items on UserVoice. It is specifically for Groups only. To configure a group so that users can request to join the group.

The group managers will then need to be notified and be able to approve or reject membership. The applicant should then receive a notification.

That’s thebasic idea. It needs more detail and thought.

William Cullerne Bown, Executive Chairman, *Research

Sent from my phone. Apologies for brevity

claire lozano

Feb 9, 2018, 10:41:31 AM2/9/18
to William Cullerne Bown, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
Hi William,

It was nice to meet you too !

My bad, Mathilde told me it was for Groups but I thought it could be for other resources as well ... .

Claire

William Cullerne Bown

Feb 9, 2018, 10:58:29 AM2/9/18
to claire lozano, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
It’s actually quite an interesting idea to extend the functionality to all content. I’m not sure though how hard that would be, or how useful. Thoughts anyone? W

William Cullerne Bown, Executive Chairman, *Research

Sent from my phone. Apologies for brevity

Miguel Laginha

Feb 12, 2018, 4:47:18 AM2/12/18
to William Cullerne Bown, claire lozano, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
Hi all,

I think we should keep it simple for now and focus solely on invitation for groups. It's a small feature that is valuable on its own, we don't need to make it into a giant one. Plus, I feel we have enough on our place as it is :)

We can always come back to this idea in the future and think about all the consequences it entails.

_ miguel