[OAE] New feature - Bookmarks

claire lozano

Jun 16, 2017, 9:46:17 AM6/16/17
to Open Academic Environment (OAE)

Hi all,

We, ESUP-Portail people, would like to have your input about a feature I've been developing in the last few days that allows a user to add a resource/group/folder to a "bookmarks/favorites" list as seen below:

Images intégrées 1

This is just a PoC at the moment to give you an overview of what we had in mind but overall, the idea is to make it easier for a user to access their "most-commonly" used items instead of having to look through their library or groups... which is something that -honestly- can become quite a pain when you've been using OAE for a long time and have a long list of documents/discussions/.... While the search engine can be handy in some cases, we like to think that those "sticky items" would make life easier for our most frequent/intensive users (like ourselves).

As I mentioned before, this is a WIP so the UI/UX is obviously not definitive. This is just our first iteration... Another option would be to add a "star" icon beside the home/notification icons and have a popup appear with all the favorites when the user clicks on the "favorites" icon. If you find it best (or more "OAE-compliant"), this feature could be turned on/off per tenant.

Anyway, there is a lot work that still needs to be done but we'd really like to hear back from you before going further on this.

Best,

Claire L.

claire lozano

Jun 16, 2017, 10:18:20 AM6/16/17
to Open Academic Environment (OAE)

Here, this is two other suggestions we have imagined:

We could imagine an icon at the top of the web page to access the list of favorites.

Images intégrées 1

Or we could create a kind of bookmark library :

Images intégrées 2

Claire L.

Miguel Laginha

Jun 16, 2017, 11:04:05 AM6/16/17
to claire lozano, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
Hi there,

Being such a heavy user of that kind of feature myself I love the idea of having it in OAE.

However, I'm not sure where to place the favourites link... What if we created another tab inside "My Library" labelled "Favourites", alongside "Content" and "Folders"? How would that look?

_ miguel

Salla Karppinen

Jun 19, 2017, 2:58:27 AM6/19/17
to Miguel Laginha, Open Academic Environment (OAE), claire lozano
Hello,

What if we created another tab inside "My Library" labelled "Favourites", alongside "Content" and "Folders"? How would that look?

I don't think this is a good idea as there are already plans and designs to simplify the library layout by getting rid of the tabs (folders would be displayed before content)... I don't have a better suggestion however.

Mathilde GUERIN

Jun 19, 2017, 5:51:01 AM6/19/17
to o...@apereo.org

Hi all,

We were quite expecting this suggestion (ie adding a "favorites" tab) tbh but we decided not to do this because:
    > the user will still have to click on their library (1 click + wait for the page to load), then click on the tab (2nd click + wait for the "page" to reload) => 2 clicks + too much wasted/loading time to access their fav items
    > the idea is to make it possible for the user to add whichever resources/users/folders/etc. they want... no matter the current "context"... If we added a tab in the library, we would have to make it context-dependent I think (eg. favorites depending on wether the user is in their library or in a group or...)... and we would lost the idea of having specific items reachable in just 1 click (they would have to look through their groups etc.)
    > otherwise, if we do not make favorites "context-dependent", why would the user have favorite groups (or users) in their library? It'd make no sense whatsoever IMO

There may be other (potential) issues we thought of when assessing the situation and deciding on how to draft/implement this but these are the main ones that made us decide not to go this way.

Best
MG
--
Mathilde Guérin
Direction du Système d'Information

Miguel Laginha

Jun 19, 2017, 6:04:05 AM6/19/17
to Mathilde GUERIN, Open Academic Environment (OAE)
Hi,

I missed the fact that favourites were context-independent, sorry. The approach I suggested doesn't make sense in the light of this.

_ miguel

On 19 June 2017 at 10:50, Mathilde GUERIN <mathild...@univ-lr.fr> wrote:

Hi all,

We were quite expecting this suggestion (ie adding a "favorites" tab) tbh but we decided not to do this because:
    > the user will still have to click on their library (1 click + wait for the page to load), then click on the tab (2nd click + wait for the "page" to reload) => 2 clicks + too much wasted/loading time to access their fav items
    > the idea is to make it possible for the user to add whichever resources/users/folders/etc. they want... no matter the current "context"... If we added a tab in the library, we would have to make it context-dependent I think (eg. favorites depending on wether the user is in their library or in a group or...)... and we would lost the idea of having specific items reachable in just 1 click (they would have to look through their groups etc.)
    > otherwise, if we do not make favorites "context-dependent", why would the user have favorite groups (or users) in their library? It'd make no sense whatsoever IMO

There may be other (potential) issues we thought of when assessing the situation and deciding on how to draft/implement this but these are the main ones that made us decide not to go this way.

Best
MG

Hello,