Upgrade from CAS 5.3.16 to CAS 6.6.x issues

Dillon Power

May 9, 2023, 1:46:14 AM5/9/23
to CAS Community
Hi,
I'm currently trying to update our existing CAS install from 5.3.16 to 6.6.5.

After building the overlay and configuring the install to support Duo MFA and ldap, I can't get the 6.6.5 overlay to throw anything but a 404, stating that [/cas/login] could not be found despite having the target URL in the cas.properties file.

I'm relatively new to CAS in general, so I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Dillon

Ray Bon

May 9, 2023, 12:02:36 PM5/9/23
to cas-...@apereo.org
Dillon,

Cas will work 'out of the box'. Make sure you can perform a default login before adding features. Then add them one at a time.
If you are doing an in place upgrade, that will be a little tricky since the overlay template is generated anew with the initializer so there is no git history :(
Some of the property names have changed. You may be able to search the output of:
 ./gradlew exportConfigMetadata
for your current property name and see if it changed.

Ray

P.S. you may want to consider upgrading to 7.x or at least 6.6.8

On Mon, 2023-05-08 at 13:24 -0700, Dillon Power wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.

Florent Thomas

May 9, 2023, 12:11:07 PM5/9/23
to CAS Community, dillon...@gmail.com
Hi,

it's better to give some logs so that we can hekp you

Ray Bon

May 9, 2023, 3:26:20 PM5/9/23
to dillon...@gmail.com, cas-...@apereo.org
Dillon,

Better for long-term support, yes. And when making a big jump in versions, there will be config that changes (there are sometimes changes between minor versions as well), so best to catch as much of it as you can in one go round.
Here is some philosophy about upgrading, https://fawnoos.com/2017/03/08/the-myth-of-ga-rel/

Ray

On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 09:20 -0700, Dillon Power wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.

Hi Ray,
I'll give this a go to see if anything's changed.

Is there a large difference going from 6.6.5 to 6.6.8 or 7.x? I'm assuming it's for better long-term support?

Thanks,
Dillon

Dillon Power

May 10, 2023, 12:39:23 AM5/10/23
to CAS Community, Florent Thomas, Dillon Power
I can try to re-deploy and grab the logs. Definitely slipped my mind at the time.
Are there any specific logs (cas.log, catalina.out etc) that I should include?

Dillon Power

Ray Bon

May 10, 2023, 12:17:08 PM5/10/23
to cas-...@apereo.org, tdeo.c...@gmail.com, dillon...@gmail.com
Dillon,

Cas log level can be set in etc/cas/config/log4j2.xml.
All logs, by default, will end up in catalina.out.

Ray