Next uPortal-home incubation check-in call Thursday

Jim Helwig

May 22, 2017, 4:00:04 PM5/22/17
to uPortal Community
Our next check-in call on the status of uPortal-home aka AngularJS-portal incubation is this Thursday, May 25th 2017 at 10:00 US ET. Interested parties can participate via http://apereo.blindsidenetworks.net/, Room 1, password apereo, or via (352) 293-2460, (855) 215-5935, pin 27354. Our agenda details have yet to be fleshed out but we will cover our progress since April 10th and look at next steps.

JimH

Jim Helwig

May 25, 2017, 2:05:23 PM5/25/17
to uPortal Community
We held our call this morning and reported moderate progress, although conference prep is of higher priority at the moment. Highlights include:
  • Improved contributor guidance, documentation, and acknowledgement
  • Progress towards building against uPortal master
  • Recognition that ProlongationENT and other projects are facing the same challenges with existing JSON web services
Feel free to review the notes recorded in the call document. A link to the call recording will be posted there when available.

There are quite a few scheduled opportunities to learn more at the Open Apereo conference in a couple weeks!

Our next update is scheduled for Wednesday July 12th at 10am ET. The placeholder agenda contains connection information.

JImH

On May 22, 2017, at 3:00 PM, Jim Helwig <jim.h...@wisc.edu> wrote:

Our next check-in call on the status of uPortal-home aka AngularJS-portal incubation is this Thursday, May 25th 2017 at 10:00 US ET. Interested parties can participate via http://apereo.blindsidenetworks.net/, Room 1, password apereo, or via (352) 293-2460, (855) 215-5935, pin 27354. Our agenda details have yet to be fleshed out but we will cover our progress since April 10th and look at next steps.

JimH

Andrew Petro

Jul 11, 2017, 9:34:39 AM7/11/17
to uPortal Community
Reminder that there's a uPortal-home incubation check-in call this morning.

Drew Wills

Jul 11, 2017, 6:48:22 PM7/11/17
to uporta...@apereo.org
I'm confused.

Do you mean to say there a uPortal-home incubation call tomorrow morning?

(Both the text below & the first line of the linked document say "Wednesday July 12th.")

drew

Jim Helwig

Jul 11, 2017, 9:32:17 PM7/11/17
to Drew Wills, uporta...@apereo.org
Apologies, but there was a mix up. Not sure how, but I am sure it was my fault. While the original email (which I sent) said Wednesday, the event in my calendar (which I created) said Tuesday. And since I live by my calendar, the call actually happened today (Tuesday). We’ll be posting an update shortly and a recording will be available if anyone is interested.

I’ll also send a note out about the next scheduled call - and will make sure everything is consistent! If anyone wants me to add their email address to the calendar invite, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

JimH

Andrew Petro

Jul 12, 2017, 9:39:07 AM7/12/17
to uPortal Community
Notes from the call.

Highlights:

Progress:
  • Added Christian Murphy as Committer, the first non-Wisconsin Committer on uPortal-home. Healthy.
Concerns:
  • Grappled with scope of incubation, how much of the long tail of ancillary small projects are conceptually included in this incubation, what happens to them if they're not. Identified that this dovetails into uPortal opportunities to mature process, practices, posture around welcoming organisms into the uPortal Ecosystem.
Action items:

  • By its plain language the Apereo Welcoming Policy is a Code of Conduct for all Apereo Projects. ("This policy prohibits harassment of any kind within the projects, events, and working groups affiliated with or sponsored by Apereo.") But there's some concern that, given the origins of the Policy in responding to issues at Apereo f2f events, maybe the Policy should evolve to better fulfill non-face-to-face-event purposes. Likewise practices will need to evolve to better implement the Policy in non-face-to-face-event-contexts. uPortal-home's incubation interest in this is thin: uPortal-home simply acknowledges that it's an Apereo project and Apereo policies apply. But this nontheless came up on the call with followup identified to dig into the Apereo Welcoming Policy via an open working group.
  • Teed up uPortal Steering to grapple further with the incubation scope question and with bootstrapping clearer processes, practices, posture around welcoming additional small projects into the uPortal ecosystem.
  • MyUW expects to apply calories to uPortal-home sufficient for the clean rename and move of repos to a uPortal-Project GitHub organization context by September.
  • Will update the formal incubation record and the less formal working copy on the uPortal-home project website to reflect progress.
  • Next meeting 9/20 10am ET

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 8:32:17 PM UTC-5, jim.helwig wrote:
Apologies, but there was a mix up. Not sure how, but I am sure it was my fault. While the original email (which I sent) said Wednesday, the event in my calendar (which I created) said Tuesday. And since I live by my calendar, the call actually happened today (Tuesday). We’ll be posting an update shortly and a recording will be available if anyone is interested.

I’ll also send a note out about the next scheduled call - and will make sure everything is consistent! If anyone wants me to add their email address to the calendar invite, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

JimH

Andrew Petro

Jul 12, 2017, 9:42:25 AM7/12/17
to uPortal Community
No worries.

Drew, anyone: if you missed out on talking uPortal-home incubation progress because of this calendaring glitch or otherwise and want to do a make-up, I'm game to have another call soon. Speak up if interested.

The best time to talk uPortal-home is any time anyone wants to talk uPortal-home. :)

Maybe a call less formally about checking in on incubation and more tailored to, well, whatever participants most want to talk about.

-Andrew

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 8:32:17 PM UTC-5, jim.helwig wrote:
Apologies, but there was a mix up. Not sure how, but I am sure it was my fault. While the original email (which I sent) said Wednesday, the event in my calendar (which I created) said Tuesday. And since I live by my calendar, the call actually happened today (Tuesday). We’ll be posting an update shortly and a recording will be available if anyone is interested.

I’ll also send a note out about the next scheduled call - and will make sure everything is consistent! If anyone wants me to add their email address to the calendar invite, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

JimH

Andrew Petro

Christian Murphy

Aug 8, 2017, 1:28:05 PM8/8/17
to uPortal Community
Hey Andrew,

Just a heads up, the audio recording appears to have been taken down.
Is there another version available?

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

Andrew Petro

Aug 10, 2017, 1:32:46 PM8/10/17
to uPortal Community
I don't get it. It was removed for a YouTube Community Guidelines violation (and a "strike" applied to the MyUW team account that posted it.) Not sure what Community Guideline that boring webinar recording would have violated. Appealed.

There's tradeoffs in using third party services to serve and archive Apereo media assets anyway. There's an argument for Apereo hosting and archiving this stuff on its own infrastructure. I still have the original .m4v file; maybe apereo.org could host it. I'll go ask about that on incubation@ .

-Andrew

Andrew Petro

Sep 18, 2017, 3:43:42 PM9/18/17
to uPortal Community
Reminder that we'll be holding an Incubation status check-in call re uPortal-home on Wednesday September 20th at 10a NYC.

(Agenda doc, which I expect will gain content over the next day or so...)

-Andrew

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 8:39:07 AM UTC-5, Andrew Petro wrote:
  • Next meeting 9/20 10am ET

Andrew Petro

Sep 27, 2017, 2:22:55 PM9/27/17
to uPortal Community