Sub-navigation in uPortal 5. Are Tabgroups

Remy JACOB

Sep 29, 2020, 11:38:55 AM9/29/20
to uPortal Community

Hi,

 I’m trying to find a solution to implement sub-navigation in uPortal 5.8.

 I’m wondering how to do it using out of the box features rather than custom development.

 I’ve found some documentation about TabGroups.

Is somebody still using this feature ? Is it compatible with uPortal V5.8 ?

Is there something else to configure in addition to what is on this page : https://apereo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/UPM43/pages/103948879/TabGroups+Super-tabs+Feature

 May be we can do the same with uPortal 5 new features (i.e. nested folders in DLM fragments).

 Can somebody share experience with this and some examples (configuration files, fragment definition/layout, screenshots, etc.)

 Thanks in advance !

 Best regards,

 Rémy JACOB

Responsable domaines formation, documentation et pédagogie

DIRECTION DES SYSTÈMES D'INFORMATION

Université Paris-Est Créteil Val-de-Marne

61, avenue du Général de Gaulle

94 010 CRÉTEIL CEDEX France

Tél. +33 (0)1 45 17 71 43

www.u-pec.fr

Avant d’imprimer ce mail, pensez à l’environnement !

Benito Gonzalez

Sep 29, 2020, 12:03:00 PM9/29/20
to Remy JACOB, uPortal Community
I believe that was removed in uP5 at some point. I would check the release notes to see if/when it was. Might be straightforward to re-implement it since little change has happened to the tabs region.

Best,
--bjagg

Julien Gribonvald

Sep 29, 2020, 1:02:58 PM9/29/20
to uporta...@apereo.org

Benito, It was nealry what I already told to Remy ;)

In my mind it was removed to the benefit of unlimited folders into folders tree of DLM and new region. The respondr XSL have again some code parts about managing this feature, so maybe defining the good xsl filter should be done, but the "tab region selector" is missing in my mind.

Else a new navigation way managing several folder tree level might be done in my mind, and this should map to the need of tabgroups.

Regards,

Julien

Remy JACOB

Sep 30, 2020, 4:06:48 AM9/30/20
to uPortal Community, julien.g...@recia.fr
Thanks for your comments Julien !

I'm not specially focussing on TabGroups, just would like a solution that works. If the unlimited folders into folders tree of DLM can do the job, it's fine for me. I tried to modify one of my fragments layout but didn't managed getting sub-navigation. So fragment layout examples and step by step configuration procedure would be welcome as i'm pretty new on uPortal...

Julien Gribonvald

Oct 1, 2020, 3:39:24 AM10/1/20
to Remy JACOB, uPortal Community

Remy, the way that I purposed isn't really fast and won't go on the way to avoid to change uPortal source for a really, really, really faster maintenance upgrade of uPortal version. But if you make change only on the XSL it could continue to be good without too much effort on upgrades.

I don't know a lot on tagbsGroup feature, but your can start to debug xsl by activating the debug log on org.apereo.portal.rendering.LoggingStAXComponent class and by doing change on the respondr theme after. I just hope that you know a bit XSLT and about playing with XPATH.

After the good way would be to implement a navigation on your way with web-components, but it's not the faster way !

Else what is your need axactly ? I believe that you are watching to "upgrade" an old uportal, so why not reviewing this part ? as everybody was convinced that it's not a good way for users access to services.

@Benito: do you know/experimented how to manage several level of folders into DLM ? I never tested things with several sub folder trees. I just hope it works, I remember that Drew pushed change to accept that, but can we import folder with sub folder with a subfolder also ? (3 or 4 subfolder levels).

- Julien

--
Julien Gribonvald

Benito Gonzalez

Oct 1, 2020, 11:21:25 AM10/1/20
to Julien Gribonvald, Remy JACOB, uPortal Community
I have not experimented too much with folder depth. I believe it will work down a few levels, but there is likely a limit.

--bjagg