URL shortnener, redirector service

Andrew Petro

Mar 13, 2020, 12:19:42 PM3/13/20
to uPortal Community
Anyone running a URL shortener, redirector kind of service as part of their campus portal?

We've had a few ad-hoc thingies along these lines in MyUW. There's a redirector for some deep links into PeopleSoft HRS [1]. There was a redirector [2] supporting the National Survey of Student Engagement.

Sometimes it feels like there's a bigger, worthwhile play to be made here, that this is the right granularity of delegated administration to delegate.

Relevant experiences elsewhere?

-Andrew

Christian Murphy

Mar 13, 2020, 1:15:19 PM3/13/20
to uPortal Community
Not specific to campus portals, but I have seen an uptick in adoption of https://github.com/thedevs-network/kutt https://kutt.it, from organizations wanting to migrate away from Bitly and Firebase Dynamic Links (formerly known as Google Url Shortener)
More portal specific, there are a fair number of Java services/libraries that could also be embedded in uP https://github.com/topics/url-shortener?l=java for URL shortening, this isn't a problem that would need to be solved with a made-from-scratch solution.

> Sometimes it feels like there's a bigger, worthwhile play to be made here, that this is the right granularity of delegated administration to delegate.

Do you have something specific in mind?

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy

Andrew Petro

Mar 13, 2020, 3:07:10 PM3/13/20
to uPortal Community
The play I had in mind is this:

Not our only trick, but certainly one of our tricks, and one of our most important tricks, in delivering a campus portal, is presenting hyperlinks to stuff.

Abstracting those URLs via a URL shortener, therein modeling who it is who ought to be able to manage which URLs, and providing UIs for that management, takes some pressure off of the portal itself. Yes, it'd be nice to have more and more powerful delegated administration, content management, but maybe we need that less if we at least had delegated administration over named, shortened links.

So I look at Kutt, and wonder if I could abuse it a bit by putting user group identifiers in the password field and make it require you to have the specified group to administer a given link. Then whenever adding content in the portal, put all the hyperlinks into a Kutt instance, and then use Kutt to manage the evolution of those links over time (and enjoy analytics on them.)