Debugging / tracking user request timings

Benito Gonzalez

Oct 20, 2020, 1:16:58 PM10/20/20
to uPortal Community
Hi folks,

When I am helping a client deal with performance issues, I often look at the tomcat local access logs for DDOS and other anomalies.

The defaults are pretty good, but the log would be much better if you change it to include the time to process the request. This can be changed in etc/tomcat/conf/server.xml and used after the `tomcatInstall` Gradle task.

The default is:
```
               pattern="%h %l %u %t "%r" %s %b" />
```
We want to add `%T which is the code for execution time:
```
               pattern="%h %l %u %t "%r" %s %b [%T]" />
```

Hope this helps,
--bjagg

--