New tomcatConfig in uPortal-start

Benito Gonzalez

Mar 25, 2022, 12:37:17 PM3/25/22
to Developers, uPortal, uPortal Community
Hi folks,

Most of you know that setting up Tomcat for the first time is easy. You can run either `tomcatInstall` or `portalInit` to get it up and configured. (`portalInit` just calls `tomcatInstall` along with many other tasks.)

But the question keeps popping up, if I change a configuration file in etc/portal/ or etc/tomcat/, how do I get it into Tomcat? It used to be a manual copy -- not anymore!!

We split out the configuration parts of `tomcatInstall` into `tomcatConfig`. Once you have Tomcat installed, you only have to run that prior task if you upgrade the Tomcat version.

Now, if you make changes in etc/portal/ or etc/tomcat/ you can run `tomcatConfig` to copy out those 2 directories (and shared libs) without hammering your Tomcat.

This is especially nice for Window Servers that used the Tomcat installer. Skip `tomcatInstall` to avoid clobbering your setup. Just run `tomcatConfig` to get Tomcat ready for uPortal. (Just make sure TOMCAT_HOME is pointing to the right directory.)

Now would be a good time to consider merging the latest changes into your uPortal-start repo. As always, you can reach out to the community if you run into issues. If you are a Unicon OSS Subscriber, open a ticket if you want help walking through the process.

Have a great weekend!
-bjagg

--
Benito J. Gonzalez
Software Architect

Andrey Postoyanets

Mar 25, 2022, 12:49:18 PM3/25/22
to Benito Gonzalez, Developers, uPortal, uPortal Community

This is fantastic news. Thank you so much for that Benito!

Andrey Postoyanets

CUNY, Brooklyn College

Mar 25, 2022, 5:50:09 PM3/25/22
to Andrey Postoyanets, Developers, uPortal, uPortal Community
You bet!!

-bjagg