SmartLDAP howto?

Benito Gonzalez

Oct 21, 2020, 6:17:25 PM10/21/20
to uPortal Community
Hi folks,

Does anyone have a handy SmartLDAP how-to doc for uPortal 5? I have a client asking for help. Wondering if someone has already written something up.

Thanks in advance,
--bjagg

--
Benito J. Gonzalez
Software Developer

Julien Gribonvald

Oct 22, 2020, 3:21:02 AM10/22/20
to uporta...@apereo.org

Hi Benito,

I'm using it a lot* , but I don't have a doc as it's only defining a spring bean with a ldapContext, else I can help if someone need.

Also see my issue on : https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal/issues/2141 where your add, on introducing ContextMapper, broke the use of AttributeMapper due to a cernunnos bug (I believe) ! I can provide a way to avoid it in continuing to use AttributeMapper conf (which is faster of 2s to load all groups on my case, which is really important).

Julien

*: 40 000 groups inside LDAP which are published by a custom LDAPPC from internet2-grouper, really faster than the use of the grouper-cli.

Julien Gribonvald

Jackson, Allan

Oct 22, 2020, 8:34:45 AM10/22/20
to uporta...@apereo.org

I would also be interested in any documentation that comes out of this. Also, is there a good explanation anywhere of exactly what SmartLDAP is and how it works? I have a vague idea what it is, and I suspect it would greatly simplify some of our config, but I want to make sure I understand exactly what it means.

Thanks,

Allan

Benito Gonzalez

Oct 23, 2020, 7:23:49 PM10/23/20
to Jackson, Allan, Julien Gribonvald, uporta...@apereo.org
I am working on some basic documentation and a blog. Should have the doc out next week.

@Julien Gribonvald we should find some time to work out those issues in November.

Have a great weekend,
--bjagg

Julien Gribonvald

Nov 2, 2020, 6:44:29 AM11/2/20
to Benito Gonzalez, Jackson, Allan, uporta...@apereo.org

Hi folks,

I can help in the documentation effort ;) Just ask us some questions to do more than a simple installation documentation.

@Benito: yes we should, I'm full these two next weeks but I can provide some elements and help at least a bit.

--

Julien

--
Julien Gribonvald

Benito Gonzalez

Nov 2, 2020, 9:38:14 AM11/2/20
to Julien Gribonvald, Jackson, Allan, uporta...@apereo.org
I am most of the way done with a SmartLDAP client request. Will get some documentation out of this effort. We can review it when I submit a PR. Does that sound like a plan?

Also, can you add a GitHub ticket to the portlet you want a release, Julien? Easier to track than email.

Thanks!
-bjagg

Julien Gribonvald

Nov 2, 2020, 10:05:31 AM11/2/20