Long searches break event aggregation

Jackson, Allan

Sep 11, 2020, 1:34:21 PM9/11/20
to uporta...@apereo.org

Are other people seeing this same bug we’re having issues with? The portal’s search field allows entering more than 255 characters, and this value gets saved in the up_raw_events table. Then when the event aggregation process runs, it can’t save the long value into the search aggregation table. This ends up blocking all event processing, and the raw events table just continues to grow until it’s millions of records and takes up many gigabytes of space.

https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal/issues/2160

Allan

Benito Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2020, 1:41:26 PM9/11/20
to Jackson, Allan, uporta...@apereo.org
Hi Allan,

This has come up a few times. Every time the client preferred to remove search events or even remove all events to reduce db contention.

Did you want us to add this to our Sustaining Engineering backlog or use some of your CA hours to address it?