Notification Portlet RDBMS Example

Ryan Richter

Oct 1, 2020, 10:56:46 PM10/1/20
to uPortal Community
I am not a Java developer. But I have been able to get pretty far along in configuring uPortal-start to work for us.

I would love to take advantage of the Notification Portlet. I have a use case that would fit very well with what's described in the README file for the JDBC (RDBMS) Notification Services: https://github.com/Jasig/NotificationPortlet#jdbc-rdbms-notification-services

Can anyone point me to an example of configuring this way of using the Notification Portlet? The README mentions the class used (AnyRowResourceContentJdbcNotificationService) but I can't figure out where I would put my custom query or how to pass parameters to it based on the class source code, and I can't seem to find documentation or examples anywhere else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Ryan

Benito Gonzalez

Oct 2, 2020, 12:31:11 PM10/2/20
to Ryan Richter, uPortal Community
Hi Ryan,

Are you planning to source notifications that are in a separate database from uPortal, or are you simply looking to store notifications from other sources?

You will want to define database details in a properties file, like those found in global.properties.

Then you will need to add overridesContext.xml from [1] under overlays/NotificationPortlet/src/main/resource/properties/ in your uPortal-start repo.

In that context file, you would add beans as needed.

You will need to create a new Java class that extends AnyRowResourceContentJdbcNotificationService to supply your query, etc. IIRC.

I may be able to write up a blog post on this process, but it would be a few weeks out. Let me know if you are interested.

Best,
--bjagg

Ryan Richter

Oct 2, 2020, 1:30:05 PM10/2/20
to Benito Gonzalez, uPortal Community
Hi Benito,

Thank you for your response. I will be looking at a separate database for notification data. (Essentially I just want to say "hey, you've got messages, go check them out in this other system.)

I will try to move forward with the additional information you've provided. A blog post would be very helpful!

-Ryan