uPortal, node, and glibc

Jackson, Allan

Jun 25, 2019, 4:42:13 PM6/25/19
to uporta...@apereo.org

We’re having an issue with building the portal after updating to uPortal 5.6. One of the changes for this version was to upgrade Node to version 12.2 (https://github.com/Jasig/uPortal/pull/1680/commits/81102ab25b83279b6be26cb2eafb5ad265853b0e). Apparently this version of Node requires glibc 2.17 in order to function (https://medium.com/@nodejs/introducing-node-js-12-76c41a1b3f3f).

We’re running RHEL 6, which doesn’t look like it supports glibc 2.17, so we can no longer build the portal on our linux servers. What are the chances of reverting this update and staying on Node 10 for a while longer? If that’s not an option, I can always make the change to our local copy, but I’m trying to stick as close as possible to vanilla up-start.

Thanks,

Allan

Benito Gonzalez

Jul 11, 2019, 2:12:03 PM7/11/19
to Allan Jackson, uporta...@apereo.org
Hi Allan,

Someone pointed out that RHEL 6 is EoL. Is there any chance you can convince Ops and higher-ups to upgrade?

An alternative is to have Ops add glibc 2.17 as a custom package. Depending on your RHEL environment, there should be a way to add custom packages across servers easily.

uPortal-start is meant to manage versions for your local needs. If the above are not practical at your institution, then by all means tweak uPortal-start to work for you. Again, I would pursue modernizing your environment as the better, long-term goal. But for now, you have this option.

Hope this helps,
--bjagg