Moving repos

Jim Helwig

Sep 17, 2019, 8:50:53 AM9/17/19
to uPortal Developers
I support the moving of repos from the Jasig org to the uPortal-specific orgs. That said, I do not understand the mechanics or the implications. Could someone explain it in a few sentences? Is the move straight forward or is this something that we should set up a meeting to figure out? How does this impact current uPortal adopters?

Also, if we are moving GitHub orgs, then we should keep in mind that we have three:
https://github.com/uPortal-contrib - developing projects

I suspect that some of the repos should probably be moved to the attic.

JimH

—
Jim Helwig
Web Platforms & Services, UW-Madison

Benito Gonzalez

Sep 17, 2019, 11:51:21 AM9/17/19
to Jim Helwig, uPortal Developers
Hi Jim,

Good questions. Thanks for asking as I'm sure several others are wondering the same.

Moving repos between organizations is done through the UI in a few clicks, IIRC. The person needs to be able to create repos in the new organization. Looks simple.

Developer repos will need to be updated with a new remote URL *if* they reference the official repo in some way; however, their personal forks will not move. I can send out an email explaining how to accomplish this.

Deployers and others that use the binaries from Maven will not be affected.

There might be additional unforseen issues, though unlikely. Thus, the action of moving one repo to evaluate impact.

Does this make sense?
--bjagg

Sep 17, 2019, 12:22:08 PM9/17/19
to Benito J. Gonzalez, uPortal Developers
Thanks, it does!

—