Commercial companies using CAS?

Yan Zhou

Dec 12, 2016, 6:11:27 PM12/12/16
to CAS Community
Hello,

I have noticed that CAS is very popular in academic world, with lots of universities using it.

I do not see much use of CAS in commercial world, there maybe one or two, but that is really it.  I personally like CAS and we are actively adopting it in the corporate world.

Has anyone have explanation why it is not as popular in commercial world?

Thx!
Yan

Yaroslav Panych

Dec 13, 2016, 6:34:11 AM12/13/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
It is pretty raw for safe commercial use. I use it(4.0.x branch) sso
for personal cabinet for local telco(and related applications), and I
was forced to rewrite some parts. And some critical parts are pending.
Most problems caused by not mature ticket registry architecture. It is
just will not work if tickets stored in "distributed" backends(and
Default storage is not usable because I use multi-node cas
deployment). Ticket-interfaces should be extended to support
"distributed" usage, not only storing. And 4.1.x, 4.2.x, 5.x branches
are not better.
> --
> - CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas
> "CAS Community" group.
> email to cas-user+u...@apereo.org.
> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/c407b1bf-607a-4ae4-8d3f-dc3d022cdfa8%40apereo.org.

dkopy...@unicon.net

Dec 13, 2016, 7:15:39 AM12/13/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
The statements like "It's pretty raw for commercial use" and "not mature ticket registry architecture" are vague and speculative. There are plenty of big commercial CAS deployments that scale to millions of authentication transactions (I am not going to name them here).

So, as CAS software is friendly open source, instead of just complaining, you are more than welcome to participate and contribute to make it better.

Best,
D.

Jérôme LELEU

Dec 13, 2016, 7:17:45 AM12/13/16
to CAS Community
Hi,

This is a harsh and disrespectful statement.

While this is true that CAS is broadly used in the academic world, there are numerous commercial companies using it.

My own example: the second French telecom company (where I work) uses it: almost 20 million clients and millions of authentications every day.

We use CAS version 4.0 and the default Memcached ticket registry with Kryo serialization.

Best regards,
Jérôme

--
- CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas

Yan Zhou

Dec 13, 2016, 8:05:34 AM12/13/16
to CAS Community
It would help to move CAS for wider adoption if some examples can be listed, people often ask this: who else is using CAS?

When I google, majority I found is from universities.  Maybe CAS community can do something about this.

Thanks,
Yan

--
- CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas

- CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas

David Curry

Dec 13, 2016, 8:21:37 AM12/13/16
to CAS Community
Well, for what it's worth, Misagh ran a survey in this group back in March, and shared the results at Open Apereo. From one of those slides, of 156 respondents:

Healthcare: 4 (2.8%)
Insurance: 5 (3.5%)
Government: 11 (7.5%)
Higher Ed: 109 (75.7%)
Finance: 1 (0.7%)
Travel: 1 (0.7%)
Other: 25 (17.4%)

The results may be skewed, since the survey was voluntary and only posted to this group, but they're something. For more results, see:

(starting at slide 38) and:

--Dave
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/CAP279LwH%2BewfMqzvLW-Nkv6b7U%2By0MBiVh%3D_L7ERG0rgE9uqnw%40mail.gmail.com.

Scott Battaglia

Dec 13, 2016, 9:46:48 AM12/13/16
to CAS Community
The CAS web site used to list the deployers on it.  It looks like it no longer does (it seems like it didn't make the cut from the Jasig site).  CAS was deployed across a wide variety of organizations including:

* non-profits
* NGOs
* governments
* financial corporations
* non-financial corporations
* universities
* K-12 institutions

I've seen it deployed at places like Sony and Nintendo (not sure if either still do), hotel chains, etc.  Once you know what the code for a CAS login page looks like, its pretty easy to spot them in the wild. :-)  Unfortunately, I'm not always familiar with the details of their installations.  Most of them do have some type of clustering and high availability and they've made their appropriate trade-offs with respect to their backend storage choice.

Cheers,
Scott