5.3.2 cas.css logo class causes IE to render default login page incorrectly on IE

Doug C

Sep 11, 2018, 7:00:56 PM9/11/18
to CAS Community
I found that the header for the login page when I updated to 5.3.2 is too large and overlaps some of the other page elements when I use Internet Explorer 11.  This does not occur in Chrome.  I poked around and found that if I change the cas.css file so that the logo class has a height property of 40px then IE 11 will render like Chrome.

While I know how to make the change in the CAS overlay I would like to submit a pull request but the cas.css file in question does not appear to exist in the github repo.  I am expecting it to be at https://github.com/apereo/cas/tree/master/webapp/resources/static/css/cas.css but I can only find a file at https://github.com/apereo/cas/blob/master/webapp/resources/static/themes/apereo/css/cas.css.  The latter file is not the same as what appears in my target overlay when I don't make changes to the overlay src.

I think the change to using an SVG image for the logo caused this issue to come up but I don't know enough to know whether there is a better way to address the issue than just adding the height property.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what file to edit though I will submit a pull request.

Thanks!

Doug

Doug C

Sep 13, 2018, 4:22:42 PM9/13/18
to CAS Community
After a little more research I found that the version of cas.css being used by default is being provided by the cas-server-webapp-tomcat.war file from the Maven repository.  I don't really understand what code base this .war file is generated from since the github repo doesn't have this cas.css file or the directory structure for it (although in earlier versions of CAS it did exist).

So at the moment I can fix the apereo theme cas.css but not the cas-theme-default cas.css so that these pages display properly in IE 11.

Again, if anyone has an idea on where the cas-theme-default cas.css can be modified in a repo I can also submit a change for that.

Thanks!

Jeff Sittler

Sep 14, 2018, 5:13:03 PM9/14/18
to CAS Community
Hi Doug,

The cas.css file is generated at build time from the cas.scss file located here: https://github.com/apereo/cas/blob/5.3.x/webapp/resources/static/sass/cas.scss

Feel free to submit a pull request to fix the IE 11 issue you fixed.

As for modifying the cas.css file itself, you can download it in the browser and place it in your resources/static/css folder and then make changes as you see fit.  However, that could potentially introduce breaking changes on your site if the core CAS HTML/CSS changes.

-Jeff

Doug Campbell

Sep 15, 2018, 1:40:00 AM9/15/18
to cas-...@apereo.org

Thanks Jeff!  That was exactly the information I needed and helps me to understand how things work better.  Much appreciated.

Doug

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG