Recording events to StatsD 5.x

Richard Frovarp

Oct 18, 2016, 3:04:15 PM10/18/16
to CAS Community
We like graphs and StatsD. So I would like to send the successful and
failed login attempts to StatsD. I'm trying to figure out where it would
be best to wire that in. I'm thinking events API, but would like to know
if there is a better place. I could just do it via Groovy script, but
once again, not quite sure where one would wire that in.

Thanks,

Richard

Misagh Moayyed

Oct 18, 2016, 3:27:59 PM10/18/16
to CAS Community, Richard Frovarp

Events API is the logical place. If I am not wrong, I think there is a dashboard entry where both the audit log as well as events are shown in tabular form. So you might as well use the same sort of channel to add graphs for those.

And do a PR when it’s all done :)

--
Misagh

From: Richard Frovarp <richard...@ndsu.edu>
Reply: Richard Frovarp <richard...@ndsu.edu>
Date: October 18, 2016 at 10:34:16 PM
To: CAS Community <cas-...@apereo.org>
Subject:  [cas-user] Recording events to StatsD 5.x

We like graphs and StatsD. So I would like to send the successful and br/>faiiled login attempts to StatsD. I'm trying to figure out where it would
be best to wire that in. I'm thinking events API, but would like to know br/>if there is a better place. I could just do it via Groovy sccript, but br/>once again, not quite sure where one would wire that iin.

Thanks,

Richard

-- br/>CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas <
CAS documentation website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
CAS project website: https://github.com/apereo/cas
--- br/>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CAS Community" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/group/cas-user/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/a3270d79-269d-4e93-e56b-94e960e811ed%40ndsu.edu.

Jeffrey Wong

Nov 3, 2016, 12:57:21 AM11/3/16
to CAS Community
I am using a metrics stack consisting of logstash, Riemann, statsd, influx, and grafana to display graphs.

In your case, I'd be tempted to have a logstash agent watch the audit logs, grep for success/fail events, and forward to statsd.

No changes or config in cas itself but it can get the job done.

In reference to cas improvements itself, maybe stats like login rates can be added to cas' metrics stack directly? Dropwizard metrics is a fantastic library. :)