CAS 6.5.9 - SAML Session Exception

Sven Specker

Oct 18, 2022, 4:10:58 AM10/18/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hi!

I upgraded from CAS 6.1.x to 6.5.9 and got that to run with little
trouble (apart from per-Service-CORS).

Now I am getting reports that people cannot log in to a SAML-service and
looking in the log, I see

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: SAML request or context could not be
determined from session store

My setup is

HA-Proxy->2 tomcats->REDIS Sentinel.

The proxy is only balancing and setting cookies while the sentinel is of
course identical for both tomcats, just as their crypto-setup (which i
did not change from 6.1).

I stumbled across a similar problem of another CAS-User and proceeded to set

cas.authn.saml-idp.core.session-storage-type=TICKET_REGISTRY

Alas, that did not really work either.

Then i deactivated one of the tomcats to check if there is voodoo
happening if requests are checked by a different tomcat than the one
issuing them.

Did not change the errors.

Since there is no hint in the error (the exception is not very
helpful..), I wonder if anyone out there has similar trouble and can
enlighten me.

Best regards,

Sven Specker
*** Sven Specker -- University of Frankfurt Computing Center ***
*********** UNIX System Administration (Auth/IDM) ****************
***** spe...@rz.uni-frankfurt.de [Phone (+49)-69-798-15188] *****
Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet
- Hochschulrechenzentrum -
Theodor W. Adorno-Platz 1 (PA-1P16)

D-60323 Frankfurt/Main
______________ TeX-users do it in {groups}________________________

Juan Manuel Díaz Nevado

Oct 4, 2023, 8:35:18 AM10/4/23
to CAS Community, Sven Specker
Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem on our installation of cas 6.6.11.

Did you manage to correct it?

Now I am where you comment in your message, seeing that changing cas.authn.saml-idp.core.session-storage-type=TICKET_REGISTRY does not seem to change anything

Any hint will be appreciated thanks.

M. Ebrahimi

Oct 7, 2023, 2:13:57 PM10/7/23
to CAS Community, Juan Manuel Díaz Nevado, Sven Specker
Hi
Did you try BROWSER_SESSION_STORAGE? This seems to have solved the problem for us.

Juan Manuel Díaz Nevado

Oct 20, 2023, 10:48:40 AM10/20/23
to CAS Community, M. Ebrahimi, Juan Manuel Díaz Nevado, Sven Specker
Thanks for the sugestion, we try but it no change.

At the end, even when it was de same error text "[org.apereo.cas.util.function.FunctionUtils] - <SAML request could not be determined from session store" it was't related to the conf, we manage to replicate the error in only one node infractrusture, so we look deeper and found a problem in the use of getSamlAuthnRequest() func that we use in a release attributes groovy script that only fails when you access in a specific order... We have a little complex multi protocol deploy.

Cheers.

Jérôme Rautureau

Mar 30, 2024, 2:04:18 PMMar 30
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hello guys,

I had the same exception when MFA authentication was triggered upon successful SAML authentication.

It was the Transient Ticket Expiration Policy which was responsible for the exception. Because sometimes enrolling our device may take several seconds / minutes it was too long for the default value of this property :

cas.ticket.tst.time-to-kill-in-seconds=5

when i put 10 minutes / 600 seconds (in Mongo Ticket Registry) the error went gone (for the common use cases). Maybe there are other scenarios where the exception is rising up...

Thanks

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG