[cas-user] Service Manager question

Sam Erie

May 21, 2018, 6:53:15 PM5/21/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
I am attempting to recreate my university's cas installation from version 3.5 currently in production to the new 5.2. The service manager in use now uses j_acegi_cas_security_check. As far as I can tell from the documentation this has been separated into a new webapp, which I am currently exploring at https://github.com/apereo/cas-management-overlay

Is this the intended replacement service manager?

Assuming that it is I need to plan how to run these webapps from a single server. Initially I was planning to use the maven cas-overlay's embedded tomcat server to serve cas. Ideally the server would not need to run two instances of tomcat. If I was to run only the executable war for cas is there a way to package the cas-management.war and run it from the cas embedded tomcat?

I could imagine just adding the war to the work directory of the cas tomcat build, but the build folder doesn't contain cas.war, or any tomcat config files, so I am a little confused as to how this would work.

Is there some intended way to do this I am overlooking? Or is the best option to just package both webapps to run on my own servlet container, and run from a locally installed tomcat on my server?

Mailvaganam, Hari

May 21, 2018, 9:35:10 PM5/21/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
>Is this the intended replacement service manager?

Yes --- for management via a UI

>I could imagine just adding the war to the work directory of the cas tomcat build, but the build folder doesn't contain cas.war, or any tomcat config files,

Drop in the WAR file after build --- default name is 'cas-management'

You will have 2 paths in same tomcat ---

hxxps://foobar/cas
hxxps://foobar/cas-management

May 22, 2018, 2:58:39 PM5/22/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
So I tried putting in a simple test.war that I know can be served from my local version of tomcat. When I use cas with ./build.sh run I am able to access the cas webapp from my browser. After the build I have tried putting test.war into /cas-overlay-template/target/test.war by the cas.war. I also tried putting it into /cas-overlay-template/build/tomcat/work/Tomcat/localhost/test/test.war.

It serves cas with a nice 302 in the access logs, but test gets a 404.

I don't see a place to put it, like my local tomcat has a webapps folder. I have not tried it with the cas-management.war yet because I am having build problems. I think I need to try the gradle build, as the maven is giving me issues.

Am I missing something, like does cas' embedded tomcat need the war in a special format? Or did I misunderstand you and I do need to run these from my own local tomcat?