Clustering Mod_auth_cas

Ramakrishna G

Aug 2, 2018, 7:27:06 AM8/2/18
to CAS Community
Hello Team,

I have multiple CAS client (mod_auth_cas) connected to a load balancer. My problem is mod_auth_cas ask CASCOOKIEPATH to set to store the user information locally.

I am planning to use NFS for the same but I feel there will be a delay in reading/writing the cookie information and have a feeling it is not safe to have this solution in production environment.

Can we have a redis mechanism to store the mod_auth_cas cookie information? Do we already have it?

I feel this approach would be more faster as it is mem_cached that NFS.

I would love to contribute and make this solution available. Please help me.

Thanks
Ramakrishna G

Ramakrishna G

Aug 3, 2018, 5:56:48 AM8/3/18
to CAS Community
Hello Team,

I have multiple CAS client (mod_auth_cas) connected to a load balancer. My problem is mod_auth_cas ask CASCOOKIEPATH to set to store the user information locally.

I am planning to use NFS for the same but I feel there will be a delay in reading/writing the cookie information and have a feeling it is not safe to have this solution in production environment.

Can we have a redis mechanism to store the mod_auth_cas cookie information? Do we already have it?

I feel this approach would be more faster as it is mem_cached(Redis) than NFS.

Ray Bon

Aug 3, 2018, 11:47:19 AM8/3/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Ramakrishna,

How much time do you think it will take to read/write NFS?
If redis is shared among your servers, how long will it take?

Ray
--
Ray Bon
Programmer analyst

Ramakrishna G

Aug 3, 2018, 12:42:18 PM8/3/18
to CAS Community
Ray,

I will be having concurrent 5 - 10 k request. When the bandwidth goes down I am really worried what will happen to the system.

Since redis is in memory storage system it will be comparatively faster than reading in a file is my feeling. Correct if I am wrong somewhere.

And also since I have clustered environment in cas servers I am using redis sentinel setup for ticket storage. It will be a great option if user can use same redis in Mod_auth_cas client aswell.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Ray Bon

Aug 3, 2018, 1:21:39 PM8/3/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Ramakrishna,

I have not used mod_auth_cas but it sounds like CASCookiePath is written rarely and read many. Is mod_auth_cas doing the writing or is it handing off to Apache? There must be other cookies that will be accessed just as frequently. How are they managed?
Could it be that there is some behind the scenes caching being done by Apache?

If not, then I agree it would be nice to have the ability to send to an in-memory store.

Perhaps you could use an in-memory file system.

Ray

Curtis Ruck

Aug 3, 2018, 2:24:29 PM8/3/18
to CAS Community
mod_auth_cas does all of it's own cookie management and persistence... i went looking at the source one day to investigate an issue we had, the issue was not there, but i'm permanently scarred by the lack of HTTPD APIs for common tasks like this.

David Hawes

Aug 3, 2018, 5:47:27 PM8/3/18
to CAS Community
On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:56 AM, Ramakrishna G <ramak...@teligenz.in> wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I have multiple CAS client (mod_auth_cas) connected to a load balancer. My
> problem is mod_auth_cas ask CASCOOKIEPATH to set to store the user
> information locally.
>
> I am planning to use NFS for the same but I feel there will be a delay in
> reading/writing the cookie information and have a feeling it is not safe to
> have this solution in production environment.

I'd be wary of this as well.

> Can we have a redis mechanism to store the mod_auth_cas cookie information?
> Do we already have it?

mod_auth_cas only stores cookies on the local file system. Development
work is necessary to support any other storage.

If it was me, I'd store the cookies in a RAM disk (someone mentioned
that in this thread), set the sticky bit on my LB, and call it a day.