CAS 5.2 Password Variable

Kevin Liu

Feb 27, 2018, 12:29:22 PM2/27/18
to CAS Community
Does anyone know how to reference the login page password in cas.properties? I know for username, you use %s but what about the password?

Kevin Liu

Feb 28, 2018, 3:02:37 PM2/28/18
to CAS Community
I'd like to do this because this ways, I won't have bindCredentials in cleartext.

Man H

Feb 28, 2018, 4:02:15 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
What would be the problem to have it cleartext in server.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Kevin Liu

Feb 28, 2018, 4:12:10 PM2/28/18
to CAS Community
Should the server be compromised, attackers can grab AD credentials and then verify all accounts with compromised credentials.

My solution to this is to not have clear text (seems genius right? ;) ). According to one of CAS's blogs, https://apereo.github.io/2017/03/24/cas51-ldapauthnjasypt-tutorial/, jasypt is the method to use.

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 11:29:22 AM UTC-6, Kevin Liu wrote:
Does anyone know how to reference the login page password in cas.properties? I know for username, you use %s but what about the password?

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Man H

Feb 28, 2018, 4:29:40 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
How should the server be compromised.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/96125d4a-859f-44b9-a8c9-028a625fccc1%40apereo.org.

Kevin Liu

Feb 28, 2018, 4:34:27 PM2/28/18
to CAS Community
I guess the easiest would be physical access. There are other various intrusion methods too.

Man H

Feb 28, 2018, 4:35:06 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
How do you get to password

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/c8eb47aa-de90-43ed-9361-26d47463d3f3%40apereo.org.

David Curry

Feb 28, 2018, 4:46:36 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Note that Jasypt is just a wrapper around Java's symmetric encryption algorithms.

Yeah, you've encrypted the passwords in the cas.properties file, but the Jasypt key to decrypt them has to exist in plaintext in the startup script (systemd service file, /etc/init.d script, etc.) for the server (unless you want to enter it by hand whenever the system reboots)... so all you've really accomplished is moving the plaintext from one file to another.

Plus Jasypt seems to be kind of dead (it hasn't been updated since 2014 and doesn't work with some of Java's newer crypto algorithms).

If you're really concerned about it, you probably want to look at storing your configuration info in a heavily-fortified Spring Cloud Configuration server somewhere. But unless you're already drinking the Spring Cloud Kool-Aid in your organization and have such a framework rolled out, that's a WHOLE LOT of work for very little gain.

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728david...@newschool.edu

The New School

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Kevin Liu

Feb 28, 2018, 4:52:34 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Password of what? The server or the AD credentials? I'm assuming you're refering to the server which if you have physical access, you can boot using GRUB and mount the filesystem bypassing any password. Then it's just a matter of looking up AD/LDAP credentials.

David, thank you for pointing that out. I was wondering about that cause the password has to exist somewhere on the server. I'll have to check with my security team to see what would make them happy then. I know in previous iterations, they used a jbvault to store credentials. I'd rather not go down that route though.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Ray Bon

Feb 28, 2018, 5:06:30 PM2/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
There is https://github.com/apereo/cas-configserver-overlay which we have deployed. It reads our config from a local git repo. In the repo the credentials are encrypted. The config server decrypts them before sending to CAS.
But there is still a password for access to the config server.

Ray
--
Ray Bon
Programmer analyst

Man H

Kevin Liu

Mar 1, 2018, 9:25:03 AM3/1/18
to CAS Community
Not much of a follow up, but my security team just announced they have their own method of hardening the system later on so it looks like I won't have to worry about the cleartext issue. Thank you everyone!

Kevin Liu

Mar 1, 2018, 11:08:39 AM3/1/18
to CAS Community
That said though, it would still be great if there was a variable to pass in the password and if there is one, I'd like to know.