CAS with two ldap servers

Nikolas Stylianides

Sep 16, 2016, 10:39:38 AM9/16/16
to CAS Community
Hi.
Does anyone know how to configure a CAS server with two ldap servers (in MirrorMode)?
Thank you in advance.

Christopher Myers

Sep 16, 2016, 10:48:33 AM9/16/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
Usually you'd either have some sort of load balancer in front of the LDAP servers, or just use DNS round-robin.

We currently have a load balancer, but before that did use round-robin. Both work fine, but the load balancing method is more reliable since it can intelligently detect when one of the LDAP servers is offline or overloaded.

Chris

>>> Nikolas Stylianides <nstyli...@gmail.com> 09/16/16 9:39 AM >>>

Hi.
Does anyone know how to configure a CAS server with two ldap servers (in MirrorMode)?
Thank you in advance.

Nikolas Stylianides

Sep 21, 2016, 3:22:37 AM9/21/16
to CAS Community
Hi Christopher. Thank you for your answer.
Can we accomplish that with AWS ELB?
Otherwise, can we use nginx for that? Also in failover IP configuration?

Philippe MARASSE

Sep 21, 2016, 4:28:37 AM9/21/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hello,

We use this kind of declaration :

cas.authn.ldap[0].ldapUrl=ldap://ldap1.example.com ldap2.example.com

Ldaptive seems happy with that.

Regards

Philippe MARASSE

Responsable pôle Infrastructures - DSIO
Centre Hospitalier Henri Laborit
CS 10587 - 370 avenue Jacques Cœur
86021 Poitiers Cedex
Tel : 05.49.44.57.19

Josep Manel Andrés

Sep 21, 2016, 10:19:45 AM9/21/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
ldap.url=ldap://opsld01.domain.com ldap://opsld02.domain.com

This is what we use and when one goes offline, it goes straight to the
active.

On 21/09/16 10:28, Philippe MARASSE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We use this kind of declaration :
>
> cas.authn.ldap[0].ldapUrl=ldap://ldap1.example.com ldap2.example.com
>
> Ldaptive seems happy with that.
>
> Regards
>
> Le 16/09/2016 à 16:39, Nikolas Stylianides a écrit :
>> Hi.
>> Does anyone know how to configure a CAS server with two ldap servers
>> (in MirrorMode)?
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --

> Philippe MARASSE
>
> Responsable pôle Infrastructures - DSIO
> Centre Hospitalier Henri Laborit
> CS 10587 - 370 avenue Jacques Cœur
> 86021 Poitiers Cedex
> Tel : 05.49.44.57.19

> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/21ecbb27-f534-eb99-e9c0-35e410f1a20e%40ch-poitiers.fr
> <https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/21ecbb27-f534-eb99-e9c0-35e410f1a20e%40ch-poitiers.fr?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Josep Manel Andrés (josep....@bsc.es)
Operations - Barcelona Supercomputing Center
C/ Jordi Girona, 31 http://www.bsc.es
08034 Barcelona, Spain Tel: +34-93-405 42 14
e-mail: sys...@bsc.es Fax: +34-93-413 77 21

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer

Christopher Myers

Sep 21, 2016, 10:58:12 AM9/21/16
to cas-...@apereo.org
Not really sure to be honest. I haven't done anything with AWS or Nginx.

Doing a quick google, it looks like you might be able to use nginx: https://www.nginx.com/resources/admin-guide/tcp-load-balancing/

We've got a Barracuda load balancer; it was fairly inexpensive, I want to say maybe a few grand?

Chris

>>> Nikolas Stylianides <nstyli...@gmail.com> 09/21/16 2:22 AM >>>

Didier Capdevielle

May 24, 2017, 8:02:47 AM5/24/17
to CAS Community, josep....@bsc.es
Hi,

We use a similar configuration :

ldap.url=ldap://localhost ldaps://remote_ldap    (Please: Note ldap for localhost and ldaps for remote)

LDAP Handler is ldapAuthenticationHandler

It works but we notice that remote LDAP is rather used than local. Is it because configuration is made for LDAPS ?

Is it possible to give an order of use ?

Thanks in advance for yous answer.

best regards,