Assistance building CAS Management Overlay, "Could not find org.apereo.cas:cas-server-support-bom:."

Joe Gullo

May 27, 2022, 12:09:39 PM5/27/22
to CAS Community
I've been trying to build CAS Management Overlay, but I'm finding the documentation a bit difficult to follow.  My understanding is it should produce a standalone war, correct?I have a deployment procedure that follows this:

cd /opt/cas
rm -Rf /opt/cas/cas-management.orgname
getcas --directory cas-management.orgname --casVersion 6.5.3 --type cas-management-overlay
cd -orgname
cd /opt/cas/cas-management.orgname/
chown -R casadmin:casadmin /opt/cas/cas-management.orgname
sudo -u casadmin ./gradlew clean build

This fails with the following:

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileJava'.
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':compileClasspath'.
   > Could not find org.apereo.cas:cas-server-support-bom:.
     Required by:
         project :

I've seen some other people building this and looking at their procedures, it leads me to believe I need to download the actual cas-overlay to the same directory before attempting to build, or is something just wrong with the build environment?  I haven't seen much about building it in the documentation.

King, Robert

May 27, 2022, 12:34:57 PM5/27/22
to cas-...@apereo.org

This typically indicates that you are missing the OpenJDK development packages.

https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/g/cas-user/c/HOiMGSumH5c/m/yof4tIlNBAAJ

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Joe Gullo

May 27, 2022, 1:32:58 PM5/27/22
to CAS Community, ro...@mun.ca
I do have those installed:

[root@cas-config cas]# rpm -qa | grep openjdk
java-11-openjdk-headless-11.0.15.0.8-0.1.ea.el9.x86_64
java-11-openjdk-11.0.15.0.8-0.1.ea.el9.x86_64
java-11-openjdk-devel-11.0.15.0.8-0.1.ea.el9.x86_64
[root@cas-config cas]# dnf install java-11-openjdk-devel
Last metadata expiration check: 3:53:48 ago on Fri 27 May 2022 06:24:20 AM PDT.
Package java-11-openjdk-devel-1:11.0.15.0.8-0.1.ea.el9.x86_64 is already installed.

Additionally, I can successfully build both cas-overlay-template and cas-configserver-overlay on this box.

Ray Bon

May 27, 2022, 4:53:06 PM5/27/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Joe,

cd cas-management-overlay/
git fetch origin 6.5
git checkout 6.5
./gradlew clean build

What is getcas?

Perhaps what you were attempting was building the main project. That is for developers, deployers use the overlays.

Ray

On Fri, 2022-05-27 at 09:02 -0700, Joe Gullo wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.
--
Ray Bon
Programmer Analyst

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.

Joe Gullo

May 28, 2022, 12:30:36 AM5/28/22
to CAS Community, Ray Bon
i will try that, but getcas is one of the recommended ways to build the overlay.  We're successfully using it for the other projects.  You can see the doc on it here, it works well for the configserver and the regular cas overlay template:

Trevor Fong

May 30, 2022, 2:41:07 PM5/30/22
to cas-...@apereo.org, Ray Bon
Hi Joe,
I ran into the same problem myself.
The problem was that "cas.version" was set to nothing in gradle.properties (ie "cas.version=").
To get it to compile I had to do the following (on MacOS/bash):

setjdk 11
getcas --directory cas-management-overlay-6.5.4 --type cas-management-overlay --casVersion 6.5.4
cd directory cas-management-overlay-6.5.4
sed -i .orig 's/^cas\.version=.*/cas\.version=6\.5\.4/g' gradle.properties
./gradlew clean build

---
BTW, here's a handy function if you have to run multiple JDK's:
function setjdk() {
  if [ $# -ne 0 ]; then
   removeFromPath '/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home/bin'
   if [ -n "${JAVA_HOME+x}" ]; then
    removeFromPath $JAVA_HOME
   fi
   export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v $@`
   export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
  fi
 }

Thanks,
Trev

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Joe Gullo

May 31, 2022, 11:35:00 PM5/31/22
to CAS Community, Trevor Fong, Ray Bon
That did it, that's the fix, thank you so much!!!