Size of maven cas-overlay-template

Sam Erie

May 16, 2018, 9:01:14 PM5/16/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
I am putting together CAS version 5.2.4.x, and I would like to run it as an executable war, however the size of the built project is still too big for the server I am developing it for. I have taken out as many of the obviously unneeded dependancies from pom.xml as I can, but I can not seem to get build any smaller than 309 MB.

Is there any documentation on minimal builds? Or does that seem like a minimal size? Any information on how I could go about pairing down the final build size and still be able to run as executable war would be appreciated.

Andy Ng

May 17, 2018, 2:40:17 AM5/17/18
to CAS Community
Hi Sam,

Since the default CAS 5 server already included so many components, the large size is to be expected I think,
and I also tried but failed to find any way to shrink down the size of CAS 5.

However, my previous blockage is actually I hit tomcat default max-file-size, and actually I can do this and be fine: "https://maxrohde.com/2011/04/27/large-war-file-cannot-be-deployed-in-tomcat-7/". If it is also your case then this might help you.

But if for other reason, then I probably can't help you...

Cheers!
- Andy

Sam Erie

May 17, 2018, 12:46:23 PM5/17/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Thank you sir. That is how it seemed, just wanted to make sure I have done everything possible before requesting more space on the server.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Ray Bon

May 17, 2018, 12:52:56 PM5/17/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Sam,

There is an install requirements section in the docs, https://apereo.github.io/cas/5.2.x/planning/Installation-Requirements.html

Ray
--
Ray Bon
Programmer analyst

Jozef Kotlar - EEA.sk

May 21, 2018, 6:04:23 AM5/21/18
to CAS Community
Hi Sam

I think, there was "improvement" incorporated in overlay process from 5.2 version that includes redundant complete cas-server-something.war into the result.

Therefore I am still using pom.xml from 5.1 branch with updated versions for cas and springboot and resulting artifact is half sized (127MB from 250MB in my case).
I am using this for standalone and classical (webapps) deployments.

Jozef