cas 5.3.3 management webapp overlay issue

Yan Zhou

Sep 12, 2018, 3:52:24 PM9/12/18
to CAS Community
Hello,

I am running CAS 5.3.3, but latest management web app is 5.3.1.

My management web app will not start up. It just hangs there.  What did I miss?

Here is the log file.

2018-09-12 15:48:11,936 INFO [org.apereo.cas.configuration.DefaultCasConfigurationPropertiesSourceLocator] - <Configuration files found at [C:\gitworkspace\ques
t-cas5\cas5-server\etc\cas\config] are [[C:\gitworkspace\quest-cas5\cas5-server\etc\cas\config\application.yml, C:\gitworkspace\quest-cas5\cas5-server\etc\cas\c
onfig\management.properties]] under profile(s) [[standalone]]>
2018-09-12 15:48:12,245 INFO [org.apereo.cas.mgmt.web.CasManagementWebApplicationServletInitializer] - <The following profiles are active: standalone>
2018-09-12 15:48:18,924 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreUtilSerializationConfiguration] - <Configuring component serialization plan [CasCoreUtilSerializatio
nConfiguration]>
2018-09-12 15:48:20,795 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.mgmt.config.CasManagementAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Configuring an authentication strategy based on CAS runni
2018-09-12 15:48:20,843 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.mgmt.config.CasManagementAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Skipping IP address authentication strategy configuration
; no pattern is defined>

--- nothing else ---

Following is my externalized management.properties. My services are defined in a local directory.

cas.server.prefix=${cas.server.name}/cas5

#
# is this how I tell Management App where the services are defined at?
#
mgmt.servicesRepo=file:///c:/gitworkspace/quest-cas5/cas5-server/etc/cas/services

mgmt.adminRoles[0]=ROLE_ADMIN
mgmt.userPropertiesFile=file:///c:/gitworkspace/quest-cas5/cas5-server/etc/cas/config/management-users.properties

mgmt.serverName=http://localhost:8080

server.context-path=/cas5manage
server.port=8080

logging.config=file:///c:/gitworkspace/quest-cas5/cas5-server/etc/cas/config/management-log4j2.xml

Travis Schmidt

Sep 12, 2018, 4:01:12 PM9/12/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Looks like you have configured your CAS server and the management app to run on the same host and the same port.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Travis Schmidt

Sep 12, 2018, 4:23:05 PM9/12/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
What I meant to go on and say is that the management app tries to call the discovery endpoint on the configured cas server when trying to startup.  If you are running both the server and the management app on the same server, I think it is stalling cause it can't reach the CAS server, because it is not up yet.  Looks like I have neglected to put an option in to not try and call the cas server during startup.  Maybe try starting the app server with only CAS server, then add the management war to the started service.

Hoping to give management app some attention next week.

Yan Zhou

Sep 13, 2018, 9:21:56 AM9/13/18
to CAS Community
OK, good to know.

Is it possible to allow CAS and CAS management App deployed on the same host, without the order of which one starts first?  I can do that with CAS4, that makes our deployment a lot simpler, without such dependencies.  Can we turn off discovery mode in CAS 5.3 management to allow that?

In addition, did something change from 5.3.1 to 5.3.3?  I am using CAS 5.3.3, and Management App for 5.3.1 (because there is not one for 5.3.3)

I am using JPA service registry on CAS and CAS management.

Got this error when starting management app. on a separate tomcat, that is probably because the JPA service registry in Management App is still 5.3.1 based, but the CAS schema already moved to 5.3.3?

SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-00904: "ABSTRACTRE0_"."SUBJECTTYPE": invalid identifier

Thx!
Yan

Travis Schmidt

Sep 13, 2018, 10:13:47 AM9/13/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
A CAS Management 5.3.3-SNAPSHOT should be available soon in the snapshot repo.  Change your pom.xml/gradle.build to use this snapshot for CAS Management and 5.3.3 for CAS server modules.

Will get a release out next week. With options to run on the same server in the config.

magicserverpixiedust

Sep 24, 2018, 3:59:17 PM9/24/18
to CAS Community
I've deployed CAS Management 5.3.3-SNAPSHOT and its hangs during Tomcat startup as well.

magicserverpixiedust

Sep 25, 2018, 3:00:47 PM9/25/18
to CAS Community
If I start cas.war and wait for it to complete, then start cas-management.war - then CAS Management app starts fine without the hang up during Tomcat start.

Teddy Francois

Dec 6, 2018, 12:57:33 AM12/6/18
to CAS Community
Has anyone had any success deploying the latest build 5.3.6 using Maven (rather than Gradle).  I've tried running it on the same server alongside CAS server and it refuses to start up and forces Tomcat to hang.  I've even trying deploying it on Tomcat on its own and removing CAS server and same issue.  Not sure what's going on.  Another thing I tried is starting it with no default services configured and having the initFromJson=true, still nothing just hangs.  Anyone out there can help please?

Rob Blais

Mar 28, 2019, 8:15:56 AM3/28/19
to CAS Community
Has there been any resolution to this?  I've run into the exact same problem with CAS 6.0.1 and 6.1.0-RC2.  It worked fine in 5.2.x and previous versions I've used.

g rudkin

Mar 28, 2019, 9:04:33 AM3/28/19
to cas-...@apereo.org
Still haven't found a resolution for this either.

Robin Joseph