Threading issues: Service ticket does not exist

Mark van Rossum

Feb 15, 2022, 9:55:46 PM2/15/22
to CAS Community
Hi,

I'm upgrading to CAS 6.5.0 with delegated authentication to Azure AD using OAuth.

I'm load testing it using a second CAS instance as a "mock" OAuth end point rather than AAD.  We've already hit several bugs [1], [2] on previous releases with threading issues under load.

The load test:
  • Steps through an OAuth login
  • Validates the ticket
  • Obtains a proxy IOU, retrieves the proxy ticket itself, and validates this.
  • "Logs in" again but this time it already has a SSO session so no OAuth
  • Validates this ticket.
Release 6.5.0 seemed to fix most problems.  My load tests run OK at 500 logins/min but above this I'm getting errors:

WARN [org.apereo.cas.DefaultCentralAuthenticationService] - <Service ticket [xxxxxxxxxxxxx] does not exist.>

And the client gets:
<cas:authenticationFailure code="INVALID_TICKET">Ticket &#39;ST-8315-5xte-xOJmYBrgw1IGLe5Tzqxu20-IT080096&#39; not recognized</cas:authenticationFailure>

This looks similar to the bug [2] where the same ticket was given to multiple clients, and it was then a race which of them validated it first.

CAS doesn't seem to have any sort of issue tracker on Github so I can't see how to raise this, but given the previous bugs it seems likely there are still threading issues.

Has anyone else encountered this, or know of any workaround?  I've spent a huge amount of time testing this now,  I don't know if we are going to be able to upgrade our CAS instance at all now unless I can find some resolution to this!

Thanks,
Mark van Rossum

Ray Bon

Feb 16, 2022, 10:28:24 PM2/16/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Mark,

Could this be a problem with the ticket storage system?
Maybe it can not keep up with the load.

Did you try the test using the in memory ticket store?

Ray

On Tue, 2022-02-15 at 08:06 -0800, Mark van Rossum wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.
--
Ray Bon
Programmer Analyst

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.