CAS5 how large for tomcat maxHttpHeaderSize

Duane Booher

Oct 31, 2017, 6:09:22 PM10/31/17
to CAS Community
Hi, we were noticing

server.tomcat.maxHttpHeaderSize=20971520 in

and server.tomcat.maxHttpPostSize=20971520 in

The seems a bit excessive. How large are people configuring the tomcat server.xml maxHttpHeaderSize?

Thanks,
Duane

David Curry

Nov 1, 2017, 8:20:44 AM11/1/17
to cas-...@apereo.org

Tomcat's default value for maxPostSize is 2097152, so that's "normal." (https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/http.html)

Tomcat's default value for maxHttpHeaderSize is 8192 (see same link, above), but the CAS documentation for configuring the server as a SAML2 IdP recommends setting it to 2097152 as well, so that's probably why it is that way. (https://apereo.github.io/cas/development/installation/Configuring-SAML2-Authentication.html#server-configuration)

I would guess that if you're not using the SAML2 IdP functionality, you could put maxHttpHeaderSize back down to 8192 or whatever, but as they say, YMMV.

--Dave

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728david...@newschool.edu

The New School

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Duane Booher

Nov 1, 2017, 9:58:12 AM11/1/17
to CAS Community

Thank you for that explanation. Our original CAS4 setting was maxHttpHeaderSize="16384", but after the CAS5 upgrade that failed right away as it was too small.

Then we did go to the CAS5 documentation setting that I reference below, and recently we were questioning the value of the setting. We have not tried to shrink for alternate smaller values.

We are actually running CAS 5.0.5 at the moment, if you see my other posts then you will see why.

BTW – you have a great CAS5 deployment site: https://dacurry-tns.github.io/deploying-apereo-cas/introduction_overview.html

If people have not seen this, then they should definitely check it out!!!

Duane Booher

Northern Arizona University