Need endpoint for our LoadBalancers

Dave Steiner

Jun 28, 2022, 11:49:08 PM6/28/22
to CAS Community
Currently (v5.3) we have a locally added "getstatus" endpoint that the LoadBalancers use to check if the server is up or not.  We couldn't seem to add this in v6 (not sure how long the developer tried).  I remember we used the status endpoint in v5 but that would take too long for the LB and it would state the server was down when it wasn't.

Is there is simple v6 endpoint that we could use for this.  I found /actuator/health/ping which seems to be lightweight (haven't look into the code for it yet).  Is this reasonable to use or is there something better.  Our LBs would be hitting this every few seconds so it needs to be lightweight and return an answer quickly.

thanks,
ds
Rutgers University

Ray Bon

Jun 29, 2022, 11:48:57 AM6/29/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Dave,

actuator/health

returns {"status":"UP"}

ping on my local returns 404 (but that may be my config).

Ray

On Tue, 2022-06-28 at 14:20 -0700, Dave Steiner wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.
--
Ray Bon
Programmer Analyst

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.

Jonathon Taylor

Jul 8, 2022, 12:24:16 PM7/8/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hi Dave,

We use what Ray referenced to perform health checks for CAS 6 from our load balancers.  By default the endpoint is locked down so we have something like the following to allow our load balancer IPs access to actuator/health.  We have not noticed any ill effects and it seems lightweight enough for our purposes.

management.endpoints.web.exposure.include=health
management.endpoint.health.enabled=true
cas.monitor.endpoints.endpoint.defaults.access[0]=IP_ADDRESS
cas.monitor.endpoints.endpoint.defaults.required-ip-addresses[0]=(xxx\.xxx\.xxx\.[0-9]+)|(yyy\.yyy\.yyy\.[0-9]+)

Jonathon

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG