Cas server and clients compatibility

spfma...@e.mail.fr

Jan 29, 2022, 2:43:48 PM1/29/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hi,

In order to have an "authoritative" answer to this question I will be asked soon : can old CAS clients (like PhpCAS) used with an old version (unmaintened but still used webapps created when our CAS 3.5 appeared) work with the latest versions ?

Is everything backward compatible as long as the setup is similar, and the same protocol versions are used ?

After reading posts like this one : https://fawnoos.com/2017/06/23/cas-protocol-compatibility/ it seems some adjustments are needed here and there.

So far, all our stuff is working fine with a CAS 3.5 instance, and I plan to deploy a 6.4 to replace it.

Regards

FreeMail powered by mail.fr

Pablo Vidaurri

Feb 1, 2022, 12:59:29 PM2/1/22
to CAS Community, spfma...@e.mail.fr
I recently went thru a similar upgrade from 3.5 to 6.3.x

We did not update any of our cas client jars (using 3.6) and all appeared to still work. Even our shibboleth idp 4.x was still working. Only problem we had was where some app owners where creating their own cas client using python and flask ... the ticket validation response was different enough to break those apps. I'd image if a standard cas client library was used they would not have had a problem.

-psv

spfma...@e.mail.fr

Feb 2, 2022, 3:34:59 AM2/2/22
to cas-...@apereo.org
Hi,
Thanks for this answer !
Regards
--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Pablo Vidaurri

Feb 2, 2022, 3:22:43 PM2/2/22
to CAS Community, spfma...@e.mail.fr
I would further qualify my answer by saying our clients where using cas-client-core-3.6.1 with CAS server 3.5.x and also worked for 6.3.x. If you are using and older cas client jar then I would test this first.