proxy tickets and sliding session window

Ray Bon

Nov 28, 2018, 3:24:51 PM11/28/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
We are using CAS proxy to connect Roundcube webmail client to our IMAP server. For this we have a no longer developed phpCAS plugin.
If we set CAS to a sliding session window, Roundcube's repeated requests for proxy tickets will keep the CAS session active indefinitely until the browser is closed.
When setting CAS to a hard time out (say 8h), Roundcube opts to use an expired PT, which in turn results in the IMAP proxy (dovecot) using it as a password in LDAP which eventually locks the user's account.

We can modify the plugin to listen for a failed PT request and end the client session. But before we do that, I would like to know what others have done.

How do you manage webmail client sessions (or do you)?
Do you have a webmail system that handles this gracefully?

This behaviour is not limited to webmail so any other perspectives are welcome.

Thanks

Ray

P.S. Roundcube makes a request to check incoming mail every few minutes. Each request gets a new proxy ticket. With a sliding window, CAS extends its session each time.

--
Ray Bon
Programmer analyst