cas 5 management

Cheltenham, Chris

Feb 9, 2018, 10:13:54 AM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org

Hello ,

I have embarked on building cas-management via the overlay.

I am assuming you build a totally separate war file with the ldapp dependency is you use ldap.

Is that correct?

===========================

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services
The School District of Philadelphia

Work # 215-400-5025
Cell # 215-301-6571

image001.gif

William E.

Feb 9, 2018, 11:01:48 AM2/9/18
to CAS Community
Exactly.  cas-management-overlay/target/cas-management.war

Since we use json registry, and ldap, we add the below.

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apereo.cas</groupId>
    <artifactId>cas-server-support-json-service-registry</artifactId>
    <version>${cas.version}</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
     <groupId>org.apereo.cas</groupId>
     <artifactId>cas-server-support-ldap</artifactId>
     <version>${cas.version}</version>
</dependency>

Cheltenham, Chris

Feb 9, 2018, 11:06:53 AM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org

Yes, great thank you.

===========================

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Travis Schmidt

Feb 9, 2018, 11:07:54 AM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Here is a link to getting started with CAS Management with 5.2.x

As far as LDAP is concerned, it is mostly a preference.  The management app will contact a CAS Server for authenticating a user in whichever way you have it set up.  For the management app you usually only have a few people authorized to use it, so users.json or static list is an acceptable way to limit who can use it.  The management app can be configured to call back to LDAP and query for the ROLE_* attributes on the authenticated user, but in my opinion is a lot more work to make something dynamic that is mostly static.

--
- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Cheltenham, Chris

Feb 9, 2018, 11:52:39 AM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org

Thanks Travis,

I am using David Curry’s docs.

I don’t understand the CAS docs from Apereo.

I think they document with the thinking of a developer, which I am not.

Therefore, I have a lot of trouble understanding them.

I appreciate your help.

===========================

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services
The School District of Philadelphia

Work # 215-400-5025
Cell # 215-301-6571

David Curry

Feb 9, 2018, 12:02:40 PM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org
Chris,

In my setup, I did not configure the management webapp to use LDAP directly. Rather, I set it up to authenticate against the CAS server, and just use the userPropertiesFile to control who can actually log into it. I used the same "admusers.properties" file that I used to control access to the admin pages (dashboard, etc.) since for us it's the same set of users for both, but you can use different files for each if you want.

Since we only have a handful of people who will use the management webapp (or the admin pages), and the list doesn't change very often, this seemed like a simpler approach than messing around with LDAP groups, etc. Just a thought...YMMV of course.

--Dave

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728david...@newschool.edu

The New School

- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

- Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
- Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG

Cheltenham, Chris

Feb 9, 2018, 12:09:42 PM2/9/18
to cas-...@apereo.org

Thanks David, I really appreciate your help.

Its saved me tons of time.

I almost forgot about your documentation but it has helped me a lot.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/CA%2Bd9XAOEFf86xCk4%3DPry%2B7JxQ1CphYv3dWXc%2BHgBXUYTn7doFQ%40mail.gmail.com.