Bootstrap v4

Brandon Powell

Sep 6, 2016, 1:06:57 PM9/6/16
to uport...@apereo.org
It looks like Twitter Bootstrap v3 is going into maintenance mode to allow for v4 to get out of alpha stage. Here is what the main developer posted on GitHub about this migration: https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues/20631

This is something that we are going to need to follow closely. It might make sense to add Bootstrap v4 into uPortal 5 for next year's conference.

Thanks,
Brandon Powell

Tim Levett

Sep 6, 2016, 1:17:49 PM9/6/16
to Brandon Powell, uport...@apereo.org

Many directions we could take. We may want to take the opportunity to look at other frameworks. Could be material design, bootstrap 4, or something else. It seems like the jump from 3 to 4 would be a decent amount of work so why not look into others?

One could also recommend at keeping respondr as bootstrap 3, and creating another profile (aka front end) with a different framework. Much like we did when we migrated from universality to respondr. I don't think we should keep evolving the same profile.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Thanks,

Tim

Sep 6, 2016, 1:44:15 PM9/6/16
to uport...@apereo.org
Just my experience on trying to integrating Material Design on respondr. I discourage it in a short time, expect if you integrate only a "MD like" on css only - what we did ! Because MD break a lot of "already present javascript" ( as example it stop event propagation on some components), so it's a bit complicated to move all your portlets on MD.

Thanks
Julien
--
Julien Gribonvald

COUSQUER Christian

Sep 25, 2016, 1:29:43 AM9/25/16
to julien.g...@recia.fr, uport...@apereo.org

Among the things about MD to add to what has been reported by Julien ( which I confirmed unreservedly by the way), there is this :

with the official release of Angular 2 (http://angularjs.blogspot.com/?view=classic  )

A few of the things you can expect in the near future from the Angular team:

·         Bug fixes and non-breaking features for APIs marked as stable

·

·         Angular Material 2

·

Just my 5 cents in €uros : so MD 1 or MD 2 ?

A way to handle all these questions (Bootstrap, MD, foundation, whateverHypeStuff), is to wonder which minimal version of [Devices>Device version/OS>OS version/browsers>browser version/ >Devices specific functionalities] do we target for uP5…

-Christian

Aug 15, 2017, 11:27:07 PM8/15/17
to uPortal Developers, julien.g...@recia.fr, christian...@upmc.fr
Bootstrap 4 has stabilized into a beta version. https://blog.getbootstrap.com/2017/08/10/bootstrap-4-beta/
From the release notes:

Long story short, shipping a beta means we’re done breaking all your stuff until our next major version (v5). We’re not perfect, but we’ll be doing our best to keep all the classes, features, and docs URLs as they appear now in this release. We can always add more things, but we cannot take away.

Best Regards,

Christian Murphy