Can we get behind this label?

Terry Golightly

Aug 24, 2020, 2:41:44 PM8/24/20
to sakai-user
Does anyone know of a way to get to this message that shows on hover over a Lessons page to modify it to good purpose (like providing the student a short description of the page)?

image.png

Terry Golightly

David Eveland

Aug 24, 2020, 2:59:44 PM8/24/20
to Terry Golightly, sakai-user
Does this directly affect how a screen reader reads the page?

Dave E.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Terry Golightly <golig...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to get to this message that shows on hover over a Lessons page to modify it to good purpose (like providing the student a short description of the page)?

<image.png>

Terry Golightly

David Eveland

Aug 24, 2020, 3:22:38 PM8/24/20
to Terry Golightly, sakai...@apereo.org

In that case it would be great to surface it as a user editable interface. Is that covered in the most recent VPAT audit? (just curious)

--

Dave E. | Johnson University | 865.251.2320

From: Terry Golightly <golig...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, August 24, 2020 at 3:08 PM
To: David Eveland <DEve...@johnsonu.edu>
Subject: Re: [sakai-user] Can we get behind this label?

That would be read out, at least as per the MS accessibility information on providing screen tips for links in MS documents.

tg

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 3:06 PM David Eveland <DEve...@johnsonu.edu> wrote:

It appears as a title:

--

Dave E. | Johnson University | 865.251.2320

From: Terry Golightly <golig...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, August 24, 2020 at 3:01 PM
To: David Eveland <DEve...@johnsonu.edu>

Usually screen tips such as this are read out by the screen reader as a way of previewing the purpose of the link.

tg

Matthew Jones

Aug 24, 2020, 3:34:57 PM8/24/20
to David Eveland, Terry Golightly, sakai...@apereo.org
That message is the default tool description for Lessons. It also appears in Site Info when managing the tools.
image.png
It's not possible for a user to change a page or tool description. This is technically possible to implement as a new feature but feels like it would require a decent amount of work.

Stull, Tiffany (tls6u)

Aug 24, 2020, 6:53:09 PM8/24/20
to David Eveland, Terry Golightly, Bethmann, Jen, sakai-user

Hi all,

It sounds like a new (and IMO, undesirable) feature to display the tool’s short description on hover in the menu.

The description is intended for instructors/site administrators to get an idea of how they can use the tool when they are adding it to their site.  It should not be showing up for students, and I think it is an accessibility issue if screen reader users are subjected to hearing it read for every tool as they navigate.

Jen Bethmann, has your team encountered the tool descriptions when navigating the menu?

Tiffany

Aug 25, 2020, 12:42:56 PM8/25/20
to Sakai Users Group
Good question, Terry.

It sounds like you'd like to add a description field when someone adds the Lessons tool via Site Info > Manage Tools, to provide the TITLE description for the tool instance in the menu?  (Similar to Web Content and adding the URL?)

I could see value to an instructor to clarify the purpose of a Lessons page for students.

For reference, it looks like this title attribute feature goes back to maybe version Sakai 2.4? Some relevant past JIRAs in case it helps any development discussions.

On a similar topic, just for the Overview tool, I had created this ticket since the title attribute for the Overview tool can get massive, depending on the number of synoptic options available.  If folks are working on adjustments to the title descriptions for tools in the menu, I would ask for a little love on this description, too.

Else, I am not sure how to address the accessibility item here.  Based on Tiffany's and others' previous feedback on other features and posts, it seems like the title attribute is not a great solution, accessibility-wise.  Of course, I am not sure how helpful it would be to always hear each tool description read over and over when navigating menus.  I don't know if an ALT tag would be more of a nuisance or not?  (Especially if it simply repeated that title description... and if the screen reader is configured to read both title and alt tags.)  I'm sorry that I can't be much help on this angle.  :/

Again, thanks for bringing up this question, Terry.  While none of our faulty have asked this question yet, I am sure someone will in the future. 'ppreciate it!
-- Alan

Stull, Tiffany (tls6u)

Aug 26, 2020, 11:35:57 AM8/26/20
to Bethmann, Jen, David Eveland, Terry Golightly, sakai-user

Hi Jen,

The “hover” in question is that the tool description, which is intended to tell instructors/site creators how they can use the tool in their courses (and not intended for students/members to encounter at all) is appearing when hovering over the tool name in the menu.  For example, on Lessons, it might say “Transform your syllabus or other content into interactive pages.”

This information should never be visible or audible in the tool menu.  IMO it’s a bug for it to be showing up, so I definitely don’t think we should “get behind this label”.

I’m wondering if, in your testing, you’ve encountered the tool descriptions when navigating the tool menu.  If you have, we’ll need to create a bug jira to get rid of them there.

Thanks,

Tiffany

Aug 26, 2020, 11:46:17 AM8/26/20
to sakai-user, Terry Golightly

Hi all,

I’m forwarding Jen’s response to the list.  Terry, could you please create a jira to remove this inappropriate label?

Thanks!

Tiffany

Aug 27, 2020, 11:53:03 AM8/27/20
to Sakai Users Group
To follow up on Terry's feature request to allow professors to modify the tool description on hover of a tool in the left menu, I created the following JIRA:

I understand Tiffany is very passionate here.  The original inquiry was about modifying the content, not eliminating it, though.  Perhaps an accessible option could be sought?  Something for site visitors (regardless of role) to have context of what the tool is and is intended for?  Hopefully, there is a win-win option so that both users of assisted technologies and those that don't use assistive technologies can benefit.

Fingers crossed!
-- Alan