Independent Scrolling vertical bars

Pat Miller

Aug 22, 2019, 8:45:17 AM8/22/19
to sakai-user
Hi,
Am I the only person bothered by the fact that Sakai does not have independent vertical scrolling left panel on the landing page.  I guess I am too used to Google Gmail and Calendar.  I think  some of the other LMS's do support that UI feature as well.  Has this topic come up in the UX discussions?

Thanks,
Pat Miller

Michael Greene

Aug 23, 2019, 10:01:34 AM8/23/19
to Sakai Users Group
Pat, I don’t know if that’s been explicitly expressed by our users, but I do also see the trend. Slack and Office365 apps have this as well. I find it particularly nice on my ipad.

MG

Charles Severance

Aug 25, 2019, 12:24:10 PM8/25/19
to Michael Greene, Sakai Users Group
It is funny how tastes change. For decades the prime directive was one scroll bar and much effort was expended to eliminate any rogue extra scroll bar.

Perhaps as we move to a gesture based UX the expectation that you can swipe up on any rectangle becomes the norm.

When I look at the GMaiil UI with three scrollbars - I think they just did not try hard enough to make a good UX so they did iframes.

I of course am not an expert at all here and have no strongly held position in this - just a personal feeling.

/Chuck

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 9:01 AM, Michael Greene <michael...@duke.edu> wrote:
>
> Pat, I don’t know if that’s been explicitly expressed by our users, but I do also see the trend. Slack and Office365 apps have this as well. I find it particularly nice on my ipad.
>
> MG

Matthew Jones

Aug 25, 2019, 3:31:25 PM8/25/19
to Charles Severance, Michael Greene, Sakai Users Group
I suggested this last year: https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msg/sakai-dev/Gv4i9IuSW0I/YWD-J2VoCAAJ

I also *feel* like I suggested it back in 2016 when the animated left navigation menu got in initially. So I'm still for it! :)

Looking at Gmail today you have to click "More" to open the scroll, otherwise the menu is fixed with a limited number of tools. I'm not sure if this is necessary or not. For the "Hangouts" part of the left hand side they don't have anything like this. Fix the left nav and add a scroll bar. It wouldn't even display on most monitors unless there was more than 15 tools.

I think we *might* have to just create a new left column which would have the Logo, the Home Icon and button and the tool menu and the rest of the content on the right?

Matthew Jones

Aug 25, 2019, 8:43:04 PM8/25/19
to Charles Severance, Michael Greene, Sakai Users Group
I realize on that ticket that I'd suggested "we create 2 jiras" so I just created them, a little belated.

- Implement a better version of the previous animated scroll bar: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-42397
- Clean up old code and property for animated scrollbar: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-42398