What happened with the tool menu animation?

Miguel Pellicer

Dec 18, 2018, 7:05:00 AM12/18/18
to Sakai Development
This feature was introduced in this Jira:

It had accessibility concerns, I suspect this feature was removed in
Sakai 12.x accidentally, despite I see it enabled, it doesn't work.

Miguel Pellicer
CTO at EDF

Website: https://www.edf.global
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mpellicer-edf
Office Phone: +34 - 96 381 35 75
Requesting a meeting: https://calendly.com/mpellicer

Matthew Jones

Dec 19, 2018, 5:24:09 PM12/19/18
to Sakai Development
This was disabled via property in

portal.scrolling.toolbar.enabled=false # false is the default

Not sure if setting this to true still works?

Miguel Pellicer

Dec 20, 2018, 4:30:19 AM12/20/18
to Matthew Jones, Sakai Development

Yes, is enabled by default in 12.x, but doesn't work.

I suspect this was removed between 11.x and 12.x, I think the feature should be "recovered" or the associated code should be cleaned up.

Matthew Jones

Dec 20, 2018, 9:53:56 AM12/20/18
to Miguel Pellicer, Sakai Development
Yeah duh, you were the one that fixed it. ;)

I'm not sure why it wasn't working but I feel like we wanted to keep it disabled by default pending more review, though as you say it does "look" like it was only disabled in 11 and left on in master (12 at the time).

I personally think we needed a user preference for this feature (and possibly a few other ones) so it could be turned off easily on a per-user basis if it did give them a11y issues. I think that was the missing work. Even though I didn't have issues with the a11y of it I found the feature distracting the way it seemed to bounce around rather than have an immediate snap.

I think if the bar was fixed and had a scrollbar (kind of how hangouts works embedded into Gmail) it might be easier to deal with but it did need a little UX and a11y testing.

Miguel Pellicer

Dec 20, 2018, 9:58:11 AM12/20/18
to Matthew Jones, Sakai Development

I can't agree more with you, thanks Matt!

Unfortunately, my question is still unresolved, when this feature was lost :(

Have a nice day!

Shawn Foster

Dec 21, 2018, 8:51:39 AM12/21/18
to Miguel Pellicer, Sakai Development
Looks like it was removed in:

-Shawn

On 2018-12-20 9:57 AM, Miguel Pellicer wrote:
> I can't agree more with you, thanks Matt!
>
> Unfortunately, my question is still unresolved, when this feature was
> lost :(
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> El 20/12/2018 a las 15:53, Matthew Jones escribió:
>> Yeah duh, you were the one that fixed it. ;)
>>
>> I'm not sure why it wasn't working but I feel like we wanted to keep
>> it disabled by default pending more review, though as you say it does
>> "look" like it was only disabled in 11 and left on in master (12 at
>> the time).
>>
>> I personally think we needed a user preference for this feature (and
>> possibly a few other ones) so it could be turned off easily on a
>> per-user basis if it did give them a11y issues. I think that was the
>> missing work. Even though I didn't have issues with the a11y of it I
>> found the feature distracting the way it seemed to bounce around
>> rather than have an immediate snap.
>>
>> I think if the bar was fixed and had a scrollbar (kind of how hangouts
>> works embedded into Gmail) it might be easier to deal with but it did
>> need a little UX and a11y testing.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:30 AM Miguel Pellicer
>> <mpel...@entornosdeformacion.com
>> <mailto:mpel...@entornosdeformacion.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Yes, is enabled by default in 12.x, but doesn't work.
>>
>>>     <mailto:sakai-dev+...@apereo.org>.
>>>     <mailto:saka...@apereo.org>.

Matthew Jones

Dec 21, 2018, 8:57:42 AM12/21/18
to Shawn Foster, Miguel Pellicer, Sakai Development
Good find Shawn, I guess that solves the "mystery" of why it's not working. So the functionality was removed but the class and property remained. Guess it sounds like the idea was good but the implementation could have been better. (As Miguel and I agreed on)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Sakai Development" group.

Shawn Foster

Dec 21, 2018, 9:56:53 AM12/21/18
to Matthew Jones, Miguel Pellicer, Sakai Development
So should a new Jira issue be created to remove the remaining elements
of the original implementations?

Matthew Jones

Dec 21, 2018, 10:04:40 AM12/21/18
to Shawn Foster, Miguel Pellicer, Sakai Development
Yeah sounds like two separate jiras would need to be there, one feature to "Implement a better version of the previous animated scroll bar" mentioned in SAK-32414 and one to "Clean up old code and property that removed the animated scrollbar" as this probably won't be needed if the bar was no longer a distraction.