libaom v3.2.0 has been released. The source code of the release can be
checked out from the git repository using the release tag v3.2.0.
Alternatively, the release tarball, along with the signature file,
can be downloaded.
This release includes compression efficiency and perceptual quality
improvements, speedup and memory optimizations, as well as some new
- New Features
* Introduced speeds 7, 8, and 9 for all intra mode.
* Introduced speed 10 for real time mode.
* Introduced an API that allows external partition decisions.
NOTE: The external partition API should be considered experimental.
Until the external partition API is declared stable, breaking
changes may be made to this API in a future libaom release.
* SVC: added support for compound prediction.
* SVC: added support for fixed SVC modes.
- Compression Efficiency Improvements
* Intra-mode search improvement.
* Improved real time (RT) mode BDrate savings by ~5% (RT speed 5)
and ~12% (RT speed 6). The improvement was measured on the video
* Improved real time mode for nonrd path (speed 7, 8, 9): BDrate
gains of ~3-5%.
* Rate control and RD adjustments based on ML research in VP9.
Gains of ~0.5-1.0% for HD.
- Perceptual Quality Improvements
* Added a new mode --deltaq-mode=3 to improve perceptual quality
based on a differential contrast model for still images.
* Added a new mode –deltaq-mode=4 to improve perceptual quality
based on user rated cq_level data set for still images.
* Weighting of some intra mode and partition size choices to better
manage and retain texture.
- Speedup and Memory Optimizations
* Further improved 2-pass good quality encoder speed:
o Speed 2 speedup: 18%
o Speed 3 speedup: 22%
o Speed 4 speedup: 37%
o Speed 5 speedup: 30%
o Speed 6 speedup: 20%
* Optimized the real time encoder (measured on the video conference
o RT speed 5 speedup: 110%
o RT speed 6 speedup: 77%
- Bug Fixes
* Issue 3069: Fix one-pass mode keyframe placement off-by-one error.
* Issue 3156: Fix a bug in av1_quantize_lp AVX2 optimization.