Can SCC(Screen content code) be enabled in CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY building ?

klaus zhang

Dec 7, 2022, 3:32:52 AM12/7/22
to AV1 Discussion
Hello everyone

I've  built libaom with config CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY,and tried to enable SCC(Screen content code) in scenario of screensharing  through the code as below:
if (codec_settings->mode == VideoCodecMode::kScreensharing) {
      SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_TUNE_CONTENT,
                                        AOM_CONTENT_SCREEN);
      SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_ENABLE_PALETTE, 1);
  } else {
    SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_ENABLE_PALETTE, 0);
  }

However,there's no much quality improved with or without SCC enabled.

I've also noticed that the unit test "${AOM_ROOT}/test/screen_content_test.cc"
 is removed out from the test.cmake,if CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY was set.

At the mean while ,I've noticed that SCC will be enalbed in scenario of screensharing in the AV1 encoder  within WebRTC either. BTW:code above is the same as that in WebRTC.which makes me more confused.

So this is my question:
Can SCC(Screen content code) be enabled in CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY building ?

- best regards

James Zern

Dec 7, 2022, 3:28:03 PM12/7/22
to av1-d...@aomedia.org
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM klaus zhang <asplin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone

I've  built libaom with config CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY,and tried to enable SCC(Screen content code) in scenario of screensharing  through the code as below:
if (codec_settings->mode == VideoCodecMode::kScreensharing) {
      SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_TUNE_CONTENT,
                                        AOM_CONTENT_SCREEN);
      SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_ENABLE_PALETTE, 1);
  } else {
    SET_ENCODER_PARAM_OR_RETURN_ERROR(AV1E_SET_ENABLE_PALETTE, 0);
  }

However,there's no much quality improved with or without SCC enabled.

I've also noticed that the unit test "${AOM_ROOT}/test/screen_content_test.cc"
 is removed out from the test.cmake,if CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY was set.

It looks like that test was added without realtime in mind. svc_datarate_test.cc tests this configuration with realtime mode.

At the mean while ,I've noticed that SCC will be enalbed in scenario of screensharing in the AV1 encoder  within WebRTC either. BTW:code above is the same as that in WebRTC.which makes me more confused.

So this is my question:
Can SCC(Screen content code) be enabled in CONFIG_REALTIME_ONLY building ?

klaus zhang

Dec 20, 2022, 4:39:41 AM12/20/22
to AV1 Discussion, jz...@google.com
thanks for your reply.yes,it really can enable scc in WebRTC.