Query about AV1CodecConfigurationRecord in mp4

Sachin Pandhare

Jun 26, 2024, 11:17:30 AM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to AV1 Discussion
We are creating an mp4 file with av1 + aac stream.
MP4 container has av1c box within av01.

I would like to understand if embedding AV1CodecConfigurationRecord is mandatory for a decoder / player to correctly decode the stream.

James Zern

Jun 26, 2024, 2:56:20 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to av1-d...@aomedia.org
Hi,

The box is mandatory, but the information is retrieved from the AV1 bitstream. A decoder may not require it, but the information can be used to configure hardware decoders, for instance. To ensure your file is compliant you should include the box.