playing av1 converted media files in android.

Guddla Rupesh

Jul 1, 2022, 7:54:48 AM7/1/22
to av1-d...@aomedia.org
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have android tablet and smartphone, Linux pc. I have downloaded high quality youtube MP4 video files and it's size is upto 60 gb. I have converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg and libaom but I can't play these videos in android smartphone or tablet.

Here I am providing huge explanation as it tries to track the exact issue.

I have downloaded some youtube videos and some files are of size upto 60 mb to 100 mb with duration upto 15 minutes. I have converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg and used libaom for video, libopus for audio. 100 mb avc video file is converted to av1 of size 24 mb.

Here youtube videos are downloaded in Linux terminal emulator using a program called yt-dlp which is an youtube downloader. This program tries to download original youtube videos uploaded without converting to another video file. Some of the other youtube downloaders are videoder, TubeMate, newpipe, snaptube etc.,.

All YouTube downloaders like videoder TubeMate newpipe snaptube etc first download a video and converts to other video and save the output file which results in the quality loss. But yt-dlp and youtube-dl download youtube videos without converting to another video file.

The input video file provided to ffmpeg tool consists of avc or x264 codec for video and aac codec for audio. I have created a small shell script to convert all avc video files to av1 files. Now if I pass a 100 mb avc video file to this script an av1 video file is generated of size 24 mb.

Here input video file consists of avc or x264 for video and aac codec for audio. The output file converted consists of av1 codec for video and opus for audio.

All the files converted by ffmpeg and libaom are being played in android smartphone or tablet but few others can't especially the splitted ones.

Some of the youtube videos downloaded are of size 1 gb to 1.4 gb with high quality video and audio with duration 3 hours.

I have splitted these large size 1.3 gb avc video file into 8 equal parts using qwinff which is a gui for ffmpeg. I have passed splitted 130 mb to the same ffmpeg script.

All the avc video files converted to av1 files successfully without any errors. Here the issue is the converted output av1 video files are unable to play using vlc media player especially in android smartphone and tablet but they are playing properly in Linux system.

Here upon conversion to av1 there's huge reduction in disk space and audio and video quality are acceptable to me but can't play properly in android devices.

These videos are unable to play means suppose I open any video file I am able to see video with audio and if I move the seek button to say 20 mins then the vlc media player stops video at that time but audio will be running. Here there is no continuous play without any jurk.

I heard that av1 codec has less support in all platforms and in future it may be supported by all devices. I have even enabled full acceleration etc and even no use.

Kindly try to suggest how to play these videos in android smartphone or tablet using vlc media player or any other player. If it's not possible take it easy.

Regards,
Rupesh.

James Zern

Jul 2, 2022, 1:23:33 AM7/2/22
to AV1 Discussion
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 4:54 AM Guddla Rupesh <rupes...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have android tablet and smartphone, Linux pc. I have downloaded high quality youtube MP4 video files and it's size is upto 60 gb. I have converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg and libaom but I can't play these videos in android smartphone or tablet.

What version of Android are you using? Support for AV1 was only added in Android 10 (Q) [1]. There are some other limitations to the Android MediaCodec implementation: only YUV 420 and monochrome 8/10-bit are supported.

Guddla Rupesh

Jul 2, 2022, 8:11:43 AM7/2/22
to av1-d...@aomedia.org
I have two android devices one is lg g7 plus thinq which runs android 10 and has Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor.

Other is lenevo idea tab A3000H which is 8 year's old and runs android 5.0 kit kat.

My requirement is I want to play these av1 video files in android tablet.

I have 60 avc x264 MP4 video files of size 64 gb and I have not converted these files to av1 codec using ffmpeg or others.

May I know how to convert these videos to av1 I mean which tool to use like aomenc or ffmpeg. Also can you suggest how to sync audio and video streams of av1 video file using ffmpeg.

There is a tool called dav1d which is a decoder for av1. Is there any way to integrate it into vlc.Does vlc has any other plugins to play av1 video files.

With in some days I am going to buy nokia tab T20 tablet which has unisoc T610 processor. Does this tablet can play these av1 video files.

In vlc there are options like hardware acceleration, opengl etc., if I choose some of these options is it possible to play these av1 video files or it is impossible to play properly in old android devices.

James Zern

Jul 8, 2022, 9:44:34 PM7/8/22
to AV1 Discussion
Hi,