GSLUG Website Outage - 17.12.27

Wm Salt Hale

Jan 7, 2018, 7:40:40 PM1/7/18
to gslug-...@aoeu.com, GSLUG
Hi Everyone,

Brace yourselves for some less than stellar news.

TL;DR:

- The VPS hosting gslug.org crashed and is non-recoverable.
- Database should be intact, but some media may be lost.
- Off-site backups are ~5 years old.
- No ETA for new host (volunteers?)

Slightly longer version:

The VPS which mjevans has been maintaining crashed on 12/27. The cause
has not been determined and unfortunately the subsequent steps which
were taken by the datacenter lead to FSCK destroying the entire
filesystem. Fortunately, the DB was running on an alternate VM which
appears to still be fine.

This means that proximately 300mb of files are unaccessible and should
be considered lost. We have looked for off-site backups and have thus
far only discovered one from 2013 (yes, this is a reminder to do your
backups!)

Between the existing database, backup, and
https://web.archive.org/web/20171204020054/https://gslug.org/ most
content is recoverable, in theory.

However, as most of you know, I have zero free time available for
GSLUG, mjevans has been in a similar boat, and as I've not attended a
meeting in some time, I am unsure if there is someone capable/willing
to take on a task like this.

Where does that leave us? Well, I'm pretty confident we can get the
old landing page up before the February meeting. Beyond that, are
there any volunteers to take over GSLUG's infrastructure and/or this
recovery task?

Hopefully everyone's holidays went better than our server!

--
Salt