imageCapture with CAPTURE_MODE_MAXIMIZE_QUALITY not giving highest res

Oded Hellman

Nov 24, 2023, 4:04:45 AM11/24/23
to Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hey everyone.

I am working on an app that detects small objects from long distances -> The app must use the highest res the phone camera can give.

The issue is that I can't get captured images with res > ~12MP.
I tested my app on several phones - Galaxy S20-22 and A54- that support native capture, which is much more than 12MP.

Here is my imageCapture builder setting:
// Image capture use case
imageCapture = new ImageCapture.Builder()
.setCaptureMode(ImageCapture.CAPTURE_MODE_MAXIMIZE_QUALITY)
.setBufferFormat(ImageFormat.JPEG) // set the target pic format
.build();

**It is worth noting that I tested my app on Samsung phones.**

1. Do you know how to fix/walkaround this limitation?
2. Is it Samsung-related constrained?

Please help :)

Charcoal Chen

Nov 26, 2023, 9:07:44 PM11/26/23
to Oded Hellman, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Hi,

Samsung achieved that by their non-public implementation. Samsung doesn't allow 3P apps to capture the images with the maximum resolution as what their native camera app can take. Therefore, CameraX can't have a solution for this issue.

Some info I collected from our test lab's S22 device to explain the issue:
CameraX is developed on top of the Camera2 public API. Therefore, the maximum resolution image that CameraX can support to capture is 4080x3060. CameraX can't support taking 6120x8160 images as Samsung's native camera app can take (Samsung-S22-3_4_50MP_6120x8160_Captured-Results screenshot).

Samsung-S22-Camera0-Supported-Resolutions.png
Samsung-S22-3_4_50MP_6120x8160_Captured-Results.png

Oded Hellman

Dec 27, 2023, 4:24:41 PM12/27/23
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, charco...@google.com
Do you know any other device (not necessarily a Samsung one) that allows 3P apps to capture images with a maximum resolution > ~12MP?

Thanks

Oded Hellman

Dec 28, 2023, 12:55:41 PM12/28/23
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, charco...@google.com
Let me be more precise with my question:
Do you know any phone model that supports capturing and analyzing photos that are significantly more than 12MP (at least 24MP) - without saving the captured image to the flash memory in real-time?

Thanks

Charcoal Chen

Jan 2, 2024, 7:01:04 AMJan 2

According to https://issuetracker.google.com/162121234, some of the Redmi Note series devices might support the high resolutions (8000x6000) you want.