Get the available cameras

Javier Gerardo Martinez Salomon

May 17, 2021, 12:49:31 PM5/17/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group

Hi everyone,

While I was experimenting with CameraX1.0.0 I wanted to verify in advance if there was a camera that satisfies certain conditions before opening the camera and interacting with the API, I proceeded to do that with a CameraSelector that implemented a custom filter, however I can only check if there is an available camera until I call processCameraProvider.bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector) this works fine but requires to bind the camera selector so that the filter runs.

Then later I found about processCameraProvider.hasCamera(cameraSelector) which runs the selector and returns a boolean, I'd like to get the actual CameraInfo that gets selected beforehand, the documentation states that ProcessCameraProvider has this API ProcessCameraProvider#getavailablecamerainfos, but it's not available once I want to use it in code.

Is there a way to get the selected cameraInfo without actually binding? If not, and considering that the custom filter reflects the use cases configurations to look for sizes, would the camera returned by processCameraProvider.bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector) be the same we would get by calling processCameraProvider.bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector, useCases)?
I would like to avoid binding the use cases just to know if there is a camera that might work.

Thanks

Scott Nien

May 17, 2021, 10:06:13 PM5/17/21
to Javier Gerardo Martinez Salomon, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Yes, the camera instances returned are the same for
processCameraProvider.bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector) and
processCameraProvider.bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector, useCases).

and for bindToLifecycle(lifecycleOwner, cameraSelector),  it won't actually open the camera and this is what we recommend for getting a camera instance before opening the camera.

As for  ProcessCameraProvider#getavailablecamerainfos,  I believe it is added only in 1.1.0 alpha. So you can't use it in 1.0.0 stable.

Javier Gerardo Martinez Salomon

May 18, 2021, 3:09:30 PM5/18/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, Scott Nien, Android CameraX Discussion Group, Javier Gerardo Martinez Salomon
Thank you Scott,

"getAvailableCameraInfos" would be really nice to use as part of the stable release, I'll be looking forward to its stable release.

Best regards