Issues with video recording in UHD (on Pixel 4a)

Mohit Shetty

Nov 4, 2021, 4:15:39 PM11/4/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group
There seem to be two issues with UHD recording on Pixel 4A. Recording the video in another/lower video quality doesn't cause any issue yet. Both the issues can be consistently produced on Pixel 4A. Not sure about other devices yet.

1. If we record a video in UHD on a Pixel 4A, the preview starts severly lagging after the recording is finalized/done, until the camera is starts again (for e.g. until I flip the camera or switch camera modes). This issue doesn't occur on any other quality yet.

2. The overall quality of the video when played seems much lower than FHD as it has a lot disturbances/lags and the frames seem to crack when the video plays.

We were able to consistently reproduce this issue on two Pixel 4As.

To test this quickly, you'll could use our open-source CameraX based application (the video quality option should be available in the settings dropdown [at the top] when in video mode. Please use back-camera as UHD isn't supported for front camera) with a Pixel 4a:

Please do let me know if you'll need any other information regarding this.

Thanks a lot for all the help and support in advance.

Regards,
Mohit

Trevor McGuire

Nov 4, 2021, 7:17:53 PM11/4/21
to Mohit Shetty, Android CameraX Discussion Group
Thank you for reporting the issue. This sounds like an issue that will take some more investigation. I've created https://issuetracker.google.com/205186867 to track the issue.

Mohit Shetty

Nov 5, 2021, 6:30:01 AM11/5/21
to Android CameraX Discussion Group, trevor...@google.com, Android CameraX Discussion Group, Mohit Shetty
Sure! Hope this issue gets resolved with minimal efforts and less time.

Thanks a lot for considering this issue.

Regards,
Mohit